Forum für Finnen-Fans

Tummelplatz für alle Freunde des finnischen Skispringens
Aktuelle Zeit: Sa 27. Apr 2024, 01:06

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 60 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2, 3  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Finnish stories: The Other Side
BeitragVerfasst: Sa 11. Feb 2012, 10:38 
Weltcupsieger

Here is finally the final part of the saga "Finnish Stories". It's the eighth chapter. I advice to read first "Finnish stories: Confessions", "Finnish stories: changes are needed", "Finnish stories: tears of joy and sorrow", "Finnish stories: lies and betrayals", "Finnish stories: hypocrisy and selfishness", "Finnish stories: ghost from the past" and then "Finnish stories: Broken Hearts". Otherwise you will not understand this story.

Main characters: : Janne Happonen, Arttu Lappi and Matti Hautamäki
Secondary characters: Veli-Matti Lindström, Janne Ahonen, Tami Kiuru, Ville Kantee, Olli Muotka and Anssi Koivuranta.

Time of the action: 2028-2081

Like ever, it's a fiction and everything comes from my strange imagination.

I'd like to say everything comes to an end. I hope that you will enjoy the reading.I wish you a pleasant reading time in my fantasy world and I'm looking for your comments in the feedback thread.

Betreff des Beitrags:
Verfasst: Sa 11. Feb 2012, 10:38 

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Finnish stories: The Other Side
BeitragVerfasst: Sa 11. Feb 2012, 10:40 
Weltcupsieger

1. A complicated life

November 5th, 2028

The inspector Jalonen was happy to turn off his computer after a long day at work. He was over sixty with white hair and moustache. He was the supervisor of the best inspectors of the police of Helsinki. His job was very stressful but he liked it a lot. The less funny parts were the hundreds of reports to write and the press conferences. He was used to it. He was at this post since fifteen years but he still didn’t like it. He took his coat and turned off the light. When he closed the door he saw that there was still light in one of the offices. He walked there and checked if everything was alright. The door was opened and he saw Janne Happonen in front of his computer eating some chips. “It’s half past eight. You should go home. I need you in good shape tomorrow morning,” Jalonen advised. “I’m at home. I’m watching the news on the Internet. I’m not working,” Havu replied. “I know that it’s not easy for you at the moment but you can’t stay here. Go to a friend.” “Why? I’ve everything here. The sofa is fine to sleep. Well a bit hard but I know worse. There is a shower down stairs, a kitchen at the first floor and I can watch TV on the computer. And I have no excuse to be late at work. In my bag there near the sofa I’ve some clean clothes. When I need to do some laundry I send them to the pressing,” he explained to his supervisor who wasn’t really happy about it. The conversation was interrupted by a phone call that Happonen got. “I’ve to go down stairs. My pizza is there,” he told.

Janne Happonen didn’t know how to solve his personal problems. He wanted to live with his family but on the other hands he felt that he had to help Matti. The poor guy was alone in a house in the middle of nowhere. He was alive because it was his wish. It was why he couldn’t let him down. The problem was that he needed almost two hours to reach the house from Helsinki and each visit seemed to be an eternity for Maria. She couldn’t support anymore his absences. She had the feeling that her husband preferred his friend to his family and for her it was unacceptable. She also didn’t accept that he spent so much time at work. He was cumulating the over hours like crazy. Some days he worked more than fifteen hours. While he was eating his pizza in front of his computer he was sadly remembering the last moments he spent with his family and hoped that he could come back someday.

A week ago

“You don’t understand. The world is changing, my job is changing and I have to go. Of course I’d like to spend the evening with you but I can’t. I’m sorry Maria.” After these words, Janne Happonen left his home and drove in the direction of the police station in the centre. Maria sat on the sofa, sad. She felt alone. Her husband wasn’t spending time with her anymore. He was almost only working or in the basement of Nina’s home. What happened to the Havu she married? The Havu who loved her more than anyone else? He promised to be always there for his family. Since a couple of months he was participating to professional courses about how to deal with terrorists. She didn’t like it at all. It was too dangerous and she was afraid ever time he left the home. She always had her phone in her hand, waiting for the fatal call. How many times did she cry in silence in the darkness of the living room waiting for him to come back?

It was enough. She got up and said to Ana that they were going to visit a friend. The little girl protested because she was playing with her dolls in her room. But when she saw that her mother was sad, she got up and hugged.

After half an hour of driving, Maria rang at the door of a house. She knew that the owner was at home because his car was in the yard and there was some light at the ground floor. She heard some noise coming front behind the door. It was probably because the dog was excited to see a visitor. The door opened and she discovered Arttu Lappi in a dark blue t-shirt and a black sport trouser. With his right hand he was trying to keep the huge dog inside the house. “Please come in. He is just happy to see you,” the lawyer said. She caressed the head of the animal and he was quickly quieter. Ana did the same. “I’m sorry my home is a mess. I was doing some gym,” he apologized. “Don’t be sorry. It’s your house. It’s me who is sorry to come without calling you before. But I needed to talk to someone. And I remembered what you told me.” “I always keep my promises. You can come here whenever you want. Please, be like at home. I come back in few minutes. I need a shower,” the tall brown man said before to climb the stairs. Maria couldn’t stop looking at him. He was so kind and good looking.

Less than ten minutes later he was back and asked if she wanted to drink something. When he was back from the kitchen he sat on the sofa next to her. “Are you alone tonight?” she asked. “Yes, Suvi is with her mother and Tiina has a family meeting. I didn’t join because I was too tired and I came back quite late from work. But don’t worry. After some sports I’m fit again,” he explained with a smile. Ana was playing with one of her dolls on the carpet near the window that had the access on the terrace. “I still remember when Suvi had her age. I’ve the feeling that it was yesterday. Now she is a lovely teenager who dreams about love, travel, success and luck. She still wants to become a super star,” he added with a smile. “She is clever and nice. I’m sure that she will be happy and have a good job,” Maria answered. “I’m quite sure too. But currently it’s a bit difficult. She loves to say no, she dresses strangely and doesn’t listen to her mother or me. Last week my ex-wife called me to ask if I allowed her to colour her hair in blond and pink.” “It’s just for a little while. I’m sure that she will be reasonable soon,” Maria said and Arttu smiled. Less than an hour later, Ana was sleeping in the guest room.

Arttu felt that Maria wanted to say something but didn’t know how to express it. He stayed silent some long minutes before to ask if everything was alright. “You know Arttu, I’ve a strange feeling about my husband. He is more and more often absent. He has a stressful job and he spends many hours there. Like many people said: when you marry a policeman, you marry the police station. And it’s true. Especially now. He prefers to do extra hours than to be with us. I’ve the feeling that he is not at ease with us. Like if he was a stranger. But it’s not true! I love him like at the first day. Why is he like that?” she asked. “Maybe he feels guilty to be so often away. It doesn’t mean that he doesn’t love you. Perhaps you should force him to participate a bit more to the family life,” Arttu suggested. “I don’t know. He is like living at the hotel. He sleeps, eats and changes clothes. Nothing else. And when he has a bit of free time he goes to visit Nina or his friend... And when he comes back, he hugs me, says that he loves me, that I’m the best wife and mother in the world but I’ve the feeling that it’s wrong. It’s just because he doesn’t want to admit that he is leaving...” she said between two tears. The owner of the house hugged her and then gave a tissue.

“The worst of all is that I don’t know what he is doing with Nina and his friend. Before this guy was living with Nina but since a while he is living somewhere else and I never saw him again.” Arttu was thinking. What was Maria saying? A friend living with Nina? “Maria, you can tell me everything. I promise to keep it for myself.” “I can’t tell you.” “Do you mean that Havu’s friend is... Matti?” Suddenly she moved back like if she was scared. She promised to her husband to keep it secret and at that moment Arttu was talking about it. How should she answer? She was confused. “I guessed it myself with all the evidences Harri and Tami collected for years. But don’t tell it to Havu. If he knows, he will repeat it to Nina and you can be sure that I will be dead in the following days. Remember what happened to Harri and Tami.” “My husband is not a criminal!” she exclaimed, a bit angry. “It’s not what I mean. I just say that Janne is telling what he knows to Nina and after that she organises the accident if I might call it so. But I’m quite sure of the innocence of Havu.”

“Arttu, I’m bored of this situation. My husband doesn’t understand my feelings. He doesn’t want to listen to me and it’s worse day after day. There is no future for our couple. But there is Ana. I don’t know what to do,” she admitted, totally depressed. “Take some days off. Go somewhere with Ana and think about the situation. And then talk with Janne. If you want to divorce, you have to be sure. You should also talk seriously with Havu. He has to understand your decision. Take again some days to think about it. It’s not a decision that you can take in two minutes. But be sure that I’ll be always here for you and I will help you. I won’t be your lawyer because divorce is not my speciality but I have good friends who can help you. You are not alone.”

During that time Havu was eating a pizza and watching soccer at TV with Matti in a cottage somewhere far from the city. “That’s so good to spend some time here after a shitty day,” Havu said before to drink a sip of beer. He was supposed to don’t drink anymore but since his couple was living some difficulties and that at work it was more and more demanding, he didn’t refuse anymore to have a beer in the evening to relax. “It’s kind of you to visit me. I’m bored alone in that house. There is nothing to do except cutting woods for the fire,” Matti complained. “You have Nina. She is visiting often,” Janne said and Matti laughed. “Are you kidding? Nina is not my friend. She is just coming to see if her guinea pig is still alive. May I ask you something?” Matti asked while he was looking at Havu. Physically he didn’t change much. He took back the kilos he lost when he was sick and looked more athletic. His hair was still brown, without white ones. There were just his eyes that lost their colour. At that moment they were light blue like ice. He also looked a bit younger. It was probably because he slept during three years and all his muscles were relaxed. “Can you bring a girl next time you are coming?” “What?” Havu was under shock after the request of his friend. “Please, last time was four years ago! And Nina is not really attractive. Can you do it for a friend?” he begged. “I don’t think that Nina would like that I bring people here. It must stay a safe place for you. You have no idea of the determination of some people that want to kill you. You are a monster for many people. It’s better if you stay quiet and hidden. But I’m sure that someday you will be back to town and have a normal life. It’s just a matter of time,” Havu told to his friend who was a bit sad. He lived for over a year in a basement and now he was prisoner in a wooden house in the middle of the Finnish nature, far from the other people. He wasn’t someone who liked to be alone in the forest. “But I promise to come over as often as possible and to make you happy,” the policeman promised with a smile. He got up and took his jacket. “I’ve to go home now.” “Why? You can sleep here.” “I can’t. I’m working tomorrow morning and my wife will wonder where I am. I’ll come over this week again but I don’t know when yet,” Janne said before to let his friend alone in his wooden house.

When he arrived at home he was surprised to see a note on the table. He switched on the light and read: Don’t worry I’m at Arttu’s place. I’ll be back tomorrow morning with Ana. Sleep well. Maria. Janne was perplexed. Why was she sleeping at Arttu’s place? And why didn’t she signed “love, Maria” like she always did? He was too tired to think. He went upstairs, took off his clothes and went in the cold bed. He set up his alarm clock to half past six and turned off the light.

BeitragVerfasst: Sa 11. Feb 2012, 13:47 
Weltcupsieger

Some days later Matti knew that Janne was coming to visit with his little family. He asked Nina to bring him some special ingredients. He wanted to show that he was able to cook. He found a recipe in the old cooking book which was on the shelf. He read it carefully to be sure that he understood each step. But before to cook he cleaned the whole house and it was a lot of work. When it was done he went on his bed to rest for half an hour. His back was hurting. He thought that he was getting old. Or that he had to clean more often. But he wasn’t enthusiast about this thought. In the kitchen he prepared all the ingredients and warmed the oven. He read once more the recipe and started by cutting the onions. He didn’t remember that they were so painful for the eyes. He scratched and it was worse. He had to wash his hands and eyes. He thought that he was really a bad cook. But he didn’t give up. He went back to the table and continued.

An hour later the little Happonen family arrived by the lake in the darkness of the evening. Janne helped his daughter and his wife to jump on the wooden boarding. They saw that Matti lighted the path with some torches. Ana knocked at the door and less than ten seconds later it was open. Matti welcomed them to his home. There was a tablecloth on the wooden table and the dishes were perfectly set. Maria was impressed. Janne gave some chocolates to his friend and some books. He remembered that the books of Nina and Harri were a bit too boring and classic. There was nothing really fun. Matti was really happy about it and thanked. “It smells really good!” Maria exclaimed. “I hope that it’s eatable,” Matti shyly answered and Maria said that he should not under estimate his capabilities.

Ana was exploring the wooden house. She never went there and she was curious. She climbed the stairs and discovered four rooms with the doors opened. She pushed one and looked around. It was dark with a bed in the middle and a wardrobe. There was nothing really interesting and she went to the next room. There she saw that in the corner there were many penguin cuddly toys. She went there to see the animals. Some were small and soft. Some others were pretty big. She was happy to have discovered these new friends.

When it was time to eat Maria was surprised to don’t see Ana. Where was she? “She mustn’t be far away. The main door is closed,” Matti said while he was taking the dish out of the oven. Janne went upstairs while Maria was looking in the bedroom of Matti. As expected Janne came back with the little girl in his hands. She was holding a penguin. “Where did you find it?” Maria wondered. “It’s a toy of Harri. He won’t be mad if she plays with it.” “How can you know it?” Maria asked a bit perplexed. “I know it. That’s all,” Matti answered with a smile. That guy was really strange, Maria thought. He invited his guests to sit. The penguin had a special seat next to Ana but it was not allowed to have a plate. “This is really great! What is it?” Maria asked very curious. Matti was a bit shy. He didn’t know if she was sincere or not because he doubted that he did something great. “Well it’s a kind of fish, potatoes and vegetable gratin. Nothing really special,” he explained in a low voice. “Did you get the fish in the lake?” Havu asked. “Yes.” And Janne congratulated. He knew how important it was for his friend to hear positive comments. He was a pessimistic person and was always thinking that he failed. But apparently his dish was a success. The plates were empty.

After the meal Janne went upstairs with Ana to play with her new friends. Matti was in the kitchen washing the dishes. He didn’t dare to look or talk to Maria. He knew that she didn’t like him. “It’s really kind of you to have invited us,” Maria broke the silence. “It was the idea of Havu. I’m not supposed to have guests,” he justified while he washed a plate. “I know why he wanted me to meet you. He told me that you were a good friend and that you were kind. I’ve no doubt about it. What I can’t accept is that he spends more time with you than with us,” she told the arms crossed. “I’m sorry... life is not that easy for me and Janne is my only friend. I need him.” “You can’t have him! Janne is my husband. Do you understand? He has to spend time with his family. You are just... just a friend.” After these words Matti didn’t dare to look at her. He knew that she was right. But he couldn’t accept that Havu could visit less often. He was not someone who was able to stay alone too long in the middle of nowhere. And with Nina it was a bit complicated. He couldn’t speak freely. She was his owner not his friend. “Try to imagine yourself at my place. Will you be happy about the situation?” she asked. He put the plate back to the shelf when it was clean. “Well... I don’t know. I never faced such a situation. I know that you are angry but I really need to talk to someone alive.” “What do you mean?” Maria asked straight away. Matti was embarrassed. He knew that he did a mistake. But it was too late. And he didn’t want to tell lies. “I can interact with dead people.” “You what? But who are you? Are you a monster?” “Please Maria, no. I’m not a monster. I’m just... different. I can see, hear and feel things that you can’t.” “Are they ghosts here around?” Maria asked a bit suspicious. Matti was in the corner of the kitchen, touching the wall with his back. It was clear that he wasn’t comfortable in that discussion. “No, but I can talk to them when I touch their graves.” “Which graves? Do you mean that there are graves on that island?” she asked shocked. “Yes, there are four. They are behind the garden if you want to see.” “But who is there?” she asked but in a way she didn’t want to hear the answer. She wanted to leave this haunted island occupied by this monster. “Harri and the three unborn children of Nina and him.” After this answer Maria went upstairs. “Janne, Ana, let’s go home. Now!” she insisted. None of them dared to ask why she wanted to leave so soon. Downstairs Maria helped Ana to wear her jacket in a hurry. Janne knew that something went wrong between her and Matti. “I’m sorry. You have been fantastic,” Janne said before to leave. “Fantastic...” Matti repeated for himself when he was alone in the house.

“I don’t want you to come to this island anymore!” “But Maria! What happen to you?” he asked while he was driving on the highway in direction of Helsinki. “Do you know that there are ghosts on the island and that your friend is talking to them?” “He is alone. He invents some friends. It’s nothing serious,” he tried to calm down. “Now you have to choose. It’s your family or this monster.” “He is not a monster! He is my friend and he needs some love.” “Love? Are you mad? Janne, I’m very disappointed. If you prefer him that’s fine to me. You made your choice. I knew since the day you entered in Nina’s home that I lost my Janne. But I still believed that I could have you back. I was so stupid. Why didn’t I listen to Katrina and Arttu.” “What are you talking about? Are you telling that it’s over between us?” he exclaimed, confused and angry. Suddenly Ana was crying on the back seat while her parents were quarrelling. “Oh Ana, it’s okay. Dad and Mom are just talking,” Maria tried to reassure with her warm and calm voice. But the little girl knew that it was not normal talking. She wondered if she did something wrong. Maybe was it because she played with the penguins? During the end of the trip everybody was silent. Maria erased some tears in the darkness. Havu was angry and his driving wasn’t fluent.

An hour later Arttu Lappi switched off his TV. It was time to go to sleep. His dog was sleeping since a couple of hours in his basket. He took his tea cup and put it in the sink of the kitchen. He walked slowly upstairs and brushed his teeth. He saw in the mirror that he really needed to sleep. He thought that he just had three days left at work and then he had a week of holiday. He was already in long grey and blue pyjama. He went under the cover, set up his alarm clock and turned off the light. He closed his eyes and almost fell asleep when he heard the ring door. He wondered who was visiting so late without calling. He went down and checked carefully by the door eye. He didn’t really like late visitors especially since the night when the man in black entered without permission. When the visitor was indentified he opened the door. “Havu? What are you doing here?” he asked a bit surprised. “My wife kicked me out. Can I stay at your place for the night?” And the lawyer accepted.

The day after he moved to his office at the police station.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 14. Feb 2012, 09:32 
Weltcupsieger

2. A witch at home

November 16th

Arttu Lappi was a bit worried about his daughter. Since a couple of weeks she was wearing black clothes. She was a teenager of fourteen years old and he knew that it was a difficult period of life. He hoped that her classmates were not bad with her or that her boyfriend didn’t break her heart. He climbed the stairs and pushed the door of her room with his finger. She was pronouncing strange words to her dolls. “What are you doing?” he asked while he entered. “Dad, you have to knock at the door before to enter. This room is my secret laboratory.” After this sentence he almost jumped. He was thinking of Nina. “Laboratory? Can you explain?” he requested. “I’m experimenting black magic.” “You what? But Suvi, it doesn’t work.” “It works. I’m learning and I know that once I’ll be a real witch. Now I’m just learning the basis. You’ll see. One day I will be able to make objects disappear or fly.” “It works only in books or movies. In the Middle Age the girls that tried black magic were burnt,” the father explained. “It’s because men are idiots. They are jealous that women can have super powers. And if you want to burn me I turn you into stone!” she threatened. “How can you believe that I could burn you? I’m not a monster. I love you more than anyone else,” he reminded. “If you don’t mind, I’d like that you leave my laboratory. I’ve a lot of work,” she said. Before to leave he remembered that he had something to ask her. “Are you still dating your boyfriend?” “Leevi? No. He broke up at the end of the holiday. He was already with Seija. He broke my heart. He let me down. I did nothing bad,” she complained. “Sweetheart. Love is hard to understand. Maybe he was scared to be with you because you are a clever girl.” “I will have my revenge. He will pay. Soon I’ll be able to prepare a potion.” “Suvi, revenge will not heal your heart. You should forgive and think of something else. Like... to your next dance show,” he said and she smiled. “Where did you find this book?” he asked when he looked at the table. “At the library.” “They are really spending money for useless books... you should spend your free time to study something useful or to work your scales.” “Yes, Dad,” she answered with a disdainful voice. Before to leave the room he noticed something strange. The posters of her favourite singer were not anymore on the wall.

Downstairs he opened the fridge and took a yoghurt. But he noticed something strange. What was that smell? Maybe he forgot some cheese in the back or a vegetable was too old. In the back he found a plastic box. What was it? He opened the cover and almost jumped back. The smell was horrible. There was a kind of greyish-greenish mushroom growing on an old cauliflower piece. He wanted to throw it away when he saw that something was written on the other side of the box: danger. Don’t touch. He immediately recognized the handwriting of his daughter. He took the box and went back upstairs. “It’s me again. Can I come in?” There was no answer but he heard that she stopped the music and opened the door. “What is this?” he asked while he showed the box. “It’s for my potion.” “Potion? Who do you want to kill with that?” “Dad, you can’t understand.” “Suvi, you are not allowed to use my fridge for your... experimentations. Inside there is the food we are eating and I don’t want that you get sick.” “The mushroom will not jump in your yoghurts if you don’t open the cover,” she justify. “Open or close I don’t want to see such a strange thing in the fridge. Okay?” he asked seriously. “Okay...” she answered bored before to close the door. “And I think that I can clean the box...” Arttu complained alone in the corridor while he was walking down.

“Tiina, did you talk about witches and black magic to Suvi?” Arttu asked during dinner a couple of days later. “What? No, why?” she asked very surprised. “She isn’t a fan of Cinnamona anymore and I’m worrying. Now she likes witches and black magic. I thought that maybe she got the idea by looking at you during the gig,” he guessed. Some months ago Arttu and Tiina performed with Olli Muotka and Veli-Matti Lindström for the first time with their band Wings of Destiny. Their music was rock-metal and Tiina was wearing dark clothes like so many other gothic singers. When she was a teenager and a young adult she was involved in the gothic movement. But she quitted before to be graduated from university. “You should not be worried. She has to try new experiences. Don’t be against her idea because she might stop talking with you. Try to understand her little world. Be interested in what she is doing,” she told by experience. Her hair was long black and straight and was contrasting with her pale skin and her blue eyes. She had a dark green shirt made of silk and a black trouser. She was over forty but her body was in a good shape. She was doing sport three times a week and eating healthy food. “You should talk to her. You are a woman and you are a little bit gothic on stage.” “Arttu, I act a character on stage. I’m not Tiina. I’m too shy to sing in front of an audience.”

It was Saturday afternoon. In the city centre there were plenty of people doing shopping and in the middle some tourists were taking pictures. The sky was blue and it was sunny. But like so often it was very windy and it felt colder than what it was. Tiina was in a clothes shop with Suvi. It was the first time that they were together without Arttu. “Look at this shirt! I’m sure that it fits you perfectly,” Tiina exclaimed while she put the purple shirt in front of Suvi. “I don’t like purple. Black is my colour,” the teenager replied. “Winter is coming and everything will be dark. Don’t you want a bit of colour in the darkness?” “No, and I love darkness. I’d like to live only the night and in an abandoned castle.” “Are you sure? It will be really cold and you will be bored alone there. Don’t you prefer to live in a nice warm house and have your friends living nearby?” “You are talking like Dad,” Suvi complained while she looked at a black skirt. “I think that you are right. Dark and cold castles are so great. Next weekend you dress how you want and we are going to a castle. And your father is not invited. What do you think?” “Sounds great! I need a black dress.” “I know where we will find one. Follow me,” Tiina told. She brought Suvi at the last floor of Kamppi shopping centre. There was the gothic shop Morticia with all the needed accessories.

The following Saturday Tiina drove Suvi to Hämeenlinna. There was a very old castle built near the lake. The area was beautiful in summertime and many people came to have a picnic or to read a book on a bench. But on this day the sky was grey, the wind was blowing, the ground was covered by the snow and it was cold. The cashier at the reception looked at the two girls suspiciously. They were both wearing gothic clothes, had the appropriated make-up and they used the straightener to have the hair as straight as possible. But what Tiina didn’t say to Suvi was that she wore warm clothes under her black clothes. They visited first the ground floor with a drawing exhibition which was interesting. Then they went higher. Tiina noticed that the castle looked like a small maze. It was perfect. “Climb the scale and look at the view all around. It’s beautiful from there. Watch up your dress in the stairs,” Tiina told and the teenager did it. She was holding her dress with her right hand while she climbed. Upstairs there was nothing. It was an empty room with open embrasures. She went near the first one to see the landscape. The clouds were so low that they were touching the top of the trees. The landscape was in black and white. The wind was blowing in the room and it was freezing.

“Tiina?” Suvi asked while she saw that she was alone. She warmed her hands together but it wasn’t efficient. She was shaking a little bit. Her clothes were not adapted to the coldness of the room. She went down stairs and was a bit stressed. Tiina was not there. “Tiina?” she asked again. “It’s not funny. Where are you?” she ran to the next room. Her black dress was floating as well as her hair. The following room was empty with white columns. It was supposed to be the room of the king. The girl was in panic. She was alone in the castle. And she was lost. Unable to find the exit. She was cold. The tears were running on her cheeks followed by the mascara. “Tiina!” She went down the stone stairs. Crossed many rooms, went back, turned left and right and right again. She tried to call Tiina with her mobile phone but she didn’t answer. Maybe she forgot her phone in the car. After half an hour she was again in the drawing exhibition. She was relieved. She knew were the exit was. When she saw Tiina at the reception she ran to her arms. “Oh Suvi I thought that you were lost.” “Where were you? I looked for you in the whole castle. I wanna go home and never come back here! I hate this place.”

In the car Suvi was silent. She didn’t know if she was happy to be with the girlfriend of his father or if she had to hate her. She realized that she was unable to live in a castle. It was too cold and too scary. There was not much light and the wind was going through the walls and windows. And it was definitively to scary to be there alone. She wanted to go back home, take a hot shower and to don’t go out of her room for the following days. “Did you like the exhibitions?” Tiina broke the silence. “I don’t talk to you anymore. I hate you.” “Suvi, I’m sorry. I thought that you were following me. I was also worried.” “Why didn’t you answer when I was calling you?” “I didn’t hear,” the driver answered but the teenager didn’t believe it.

“How was the trip of my two princesses?” Arttu asked with enthusiasm and a wide smile. Suvi just entered in the house and went upstairs in silence. “Everything’s alright?” the father asked looking upstairs but he just heard that she slammed the door of her room. “I think that she will forget her idea to live in a castle and to be a witch,” Tiina said to Arttu before to kiss. “That’s good news,” he replied.

Upstairs Suvi was looking in her book how she could prepare a magic potion to make Tiina disappear. But she was sad when she found it. She needed the spittle of a toad. She had no idea where she could find that animal.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 14. Feb 2012, 21:18 
Weltcupsieger

3. House in Käpylä

January 14th, 2029

Since a couple of weeks Maria Happonen was living in the house of Janne Ahonen who was in Gran Canarias for the whole winter. She was grateful that he kindly allowed her to be in his house while her husband was in their house in Käpylä and to use absolutely everything. He also said that if she wanted to modify something, like moving furniture or changing the paintings on the wall she was free to do it. But she refused. He was absent but it was still his house. She was down stairs like almost every day in the computer room. There was a huge screen on the wall and some smaller ones around. From the main computer she could choose what she wanted to see. She could see the two bars in the city centre from different angles but also the production on the sunny Spanish island. There was also the webcam of the home computer of Janne. She was mainly interested in this one. She was drinking an orange juice and was waiting that he sits to talk to her. She missed him so much. During the last years he was always there to listen to her pain and try to find solutions. But for her he was more than a friend. How to tell him? She couldn’t. There was a conflict in her. She couldn’t betray the promise she did at her wedding until she was divorced. She was thinking to the day where she would tell what she feels. How would he react? Would he be scared? Or would he also admit that he loves her too. She was remembering when he wanted her to have a nap with him and she refused. She decided to get up and to look at what Ana was doing upstairs. But she was interrupted by a familiar voice. “Hey Maria. Nice to see you!” She took the wireless head set, smile and said how happy she was to see him.

“When I look at the webcam in the mango field I realize how much I miss sun. The worst of all is that there is still two to three months of winter here. I don’t know how I will survive this year,” the black hair woman told. She was Brazilian and for her, Finnish winter was tough. She needed sun and warm. “Why don’t you take a flight and join me? Here in winter the temperature is never less than fifteen degrees and you can swim in the ocean the whole year. You can come with Ana. There is enough room in my house,” he proposed. “It’s kind of you but I can’t. The situation with Havu is not fixed and I can’t take Ana away from him. He is still her father and he has the right to see her. Why don’t you come back for few weeks?” she asked. “Well... as you said winter is here. It is not really attracting when I compare to the view I have from my window.” He took his laptop in his hands and turned it. There was a green garden with exotic plants and palm trees and just behind the white sand beach and the ocean which was turquoise. It looked like in the touristic brochures. It was a dream place.

“I’ve another problem and I don’t know how to solve it.” “Tell me,” he answered. She stayed silent a little while just looking at his face on the wide screen. His skin was golden brown, his wrinkles were deeper and more numerous near his green eyes and his hair were brownish-greyish in a pony tail. He couldn’t say anymore that he was in his forties. No he was over fifty and he couldn’t cheat anymore. Time was cruel and always reminds that we can’t get younger. “With Havu we will have to sell the house. None of us can keep it. I’m so sad because there are so many memories inside and Ana loves it. Why do I tell you that? I will look for an apartment. I’m sorry to bother you.” “No, you don’t bother me. I understand your situation. I guess that Ana is sad to be far from her friends.” “Yes, exactly. She also misses the park where we went almost every day. I try to tell her that she will make new friends but it’s hard. She also doesn’t understand why we are separated and it will not be better I think. I’m afraid that the only solution is to divorce. I would believe that it’s a nightmare and I will wake up soon but it will not happen,” she said with tears in her eyes.

Some days later Janne Happonen was waiting in front of the bank. He was stressed and smoked a cigarette. It was his first one since a long while. He was not a smoker. For that special day he was wearing a suit. He hated it. He wasn’t at ease at all. He was someone more casual. Maria arrived few minutes later. She was wearing a straight skirt under the knee and she was wearing her winter jacket. “Hi.” “Hi,” Janne simply answered. “Are you ready?” she asked in a low voice. “Do I have the choice? Let’s go,” he replied. They entered in the bank few minutes before two o’clock. Their banker was waiting for them and they went to his office to talk about the loan on the house. They sat in the beige leather chairs and looked at the under forty years old man that didn’t look friendly on the other side of the table. “I guess that we have no other option than to sell the house,” Janne told. “Actually there is a little change in your case,” the blond man replied. Janne frowned and Maria pressed her lips together. “The loan has been totally paid,” the banker announced. “What? But how?” Janne almost jumped. “The loan is paid since Tuesday. The only question now is: which of you is the owner of the house?” “We need a break. We come back in ten minutes,” Janne said while he got up and went to the small conference room at the end of the corridor that was empty. “What have you done?” the husband asked. “Nothing. Why do you accuse me?” “Because I know only one person who can do that. Why did you ask him? Why did he do that? Does he have some debts to you? Have you slept with him and he feels guilty?” “Havu! I never betray you. I’m faithful not like you.” “Again!” he exclaimed, losing his nerves. How many times would he have to apologize for a single mistake he did long time ago? “I don’t want to know what you are doing with him. You can have the house he bought for you. I just have a request.” “You can ask all what you want,” she replied, shaking. Why was she afraid of him? “I’d like to stay in the house until I find a decent place to live.” “Sure. You can stay as long as you want,” she answered and they went back to the banker.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 14. Feb 2012, 21:35 
Weltcupsieger

4. Unhappy

February 2nd

“I want to go home,” Matti said to Nina who came to bring him some food for the following days. “You know that at the moment it’s not possible. Some people want to kill you and some others want to kidnap you and to analyze your body and soul. I already got some offers from foreign governments. The Americans seem to be really interested in you. But I refused. You are mine.” “I’m not your pet,” he replied the arms crossed. “Actually... you are. I can do whatever I want to you. Don’t be afraid. I won’t be bad with you if you respect the rules. But I warn you: if you don’t obey I’ll have to send you back to the grave. Don’t leave this island without my permission. Sit now. I need your blood,” she said with authority in the voice and he did it. He was used. She opened her little suitcase and installed the needed material. The blood was going from his arm to a kind of big syringe via a plastic tube. “What are you doing with my blood?” he finally dared to ask. He wanted to do it months ago but he never dared. He was impressed by Nina and it wasn’t rare that she didn’t answer his questions. “I need it for an important project at work. But I promise that as soon as we are able to clone it I will let you in peace.” “For which project do you need it?” he interrogated. “For the AIDS project. I can tell you that your blood is saving many people. Before you woke up I noticed that the virus was disappearing. I still don’t know why. Maybe it was a reaction with another gene I introduced in you. I took a sample of your blood to the lab at work to analyze it. We mixed it with the blood of an infected patient and looked at the reaction. Three days later the virus was killed. Lauri, you are saving thousands of lives! Soon we will create a vaccination to help people in Africa. Isn’t it fantastic?” she exclaimed. “Yes, it is...” he answered but without any enthusiasm. He was thinking that he was just a toy. “But I’m not Lauri.” “You are! It’s your name.” “No, my name is Matti.” “Matti died in 2023 and he was an idiot. You are the beautiful Lauri who came back to Earth to make me happy and to save people. You are a good person. Forget the other guy that you are not anymore,” she replied. She hoped that he would understand and get used of his new identity.

“I’m done. Do you want to have a walk in the forest?” she proposed while she was putting back all the equipment in the bag. “No thanks. I’m tired,” he answered while he got up. He had headache and just went to his bed which was behind the kitchen. “Are you okay?” she asked a little bit worried. He was pale and looked sad. “I wanna go home,” he said from the bed. She entered in the little room and sat on the bed. “You can’t go home. You have to get used to this place. And it’s not so bad. You have nature all around, nobody to bother you and you can fish.” “What have you done with my flat? I gave it to you,” he asked. “Lauri, you have to understand that I needed more money than what you gave me to save you.” “You sold it?” he asked while he sat. “I had to. I couldn’t keep your flat with your furniture and personal items. I let your family choose what they wanted to keep. You can see that I’ve a heart. I understood their sorrow. You should have seen your friends. They were crying for you.” “Leave me alone,” he requested and she left the wooden house on the island. She put her bag on the little boat and travelled to her car before to drive back to the city. It was a warm winter and the lake was not frozen. During normal winters the water was covered by twenty centimetres of ice.

Some days later Janne Happonen went to visit after work. It was dark outside since a couple of hours. His friend was sat at the wooden table of the kitchen with only a candle as light. In front of him there was a letter and the pen was still in his hand. “What are you writing?” “A letter to my family. I think that they should know that I’m alive. They will be probably happy. Can I give your phone number as contact?” Janne sat next to him and touched his arm. “Do you really think that it’s a good idea? For them, you are dead since years. To hear that you’re alive can be a shock. I know that you would like to have them near you but are you sure that they want it?” “How can I know what they want?” Janne was embarrassed. He didn’t know why but he was quite sure that it was a bad idea. But Matti didn’t wait. He put the letter in the envelope and closed it. The address was already written. “Can you post it for me?” he said while he gave it to his friend. He took it in silence and put it in his jacket.

“Since a couple of days you look pretty unhappy. Is everything alright?” Janne asked. “Yeah... I’m just... thinking. I’m alive, have a second chance but I’m prisoner. I can do nothing. I spend my days to read the books on the shelf or to listen to music. I’ve to wait for the night to go out because I’m allergic to the sun light. Well, it’s not too difficult in winter. Everything looks strange. I really feel like a monster that nobody want to see except you. I want to go back to town and live my own life without Nina.” Janne came closer and hugged his friend. “It’s not safe for you. Nina is protecting you. You have no idea of what people want to do to you. Still now many want to see you dead. Trust me. One day you will be able to quit this island and be safe in the streets. You just need to be patient,” Janne reassured. “I bought for you some CDs. I was at the shop and I thought of you. There was a promotion on the classical music and also on operas. I don’t know which ones you like. I took five.” “Thank you,” Matti replied while he looked at the covers.

When he was in his computer room, Janne opened the drawer and took a stamp. He was looking at the letter and wondered if it was a good idea to send it or not. How would he react if he got such a letter? He hoped that he would never get one like this. But it was the wish of his friend to send it and he had no right to be against it. He took his jacket and walked to the mailbox which was in the main street crossed by the tram. He opened the little flap and put half of the letter inside. He was thinking again if he should do it or not. He took the letter back and looked at it. He was thinking of the parents of Matti. He remembered how sad they were at the funerals, especially the mother. She looked so fragile. And she already lost two of her sons. The news of this reborn was maybe not the best for her. Finally he put the letter in the box. It was too later to take it back. Matti made a choice. He had to assume the consequences. Janne warned him.

BeitragVerfasst: Do 16. Feb 2012, 09:56 
Weltcupsieger

5. The long way to become an artist

February 15th

Suvi Lappi was in her room repeating the song she would perform during the show organized by the music school. She was a very good singer and the challenge was difficult. Everybody was expecting the best from her: the teacher and especially her parents. The problem was that she was not only singing. She was also playing the guitar. She sat on her bed, upset. She was always mistaken in the same part. “It’s four o’clock, honey. Is the show starting?” her father asked from behind the door. They agreed for that little show two hours ago. Suvi got up and Arttu and Tiina sat on the bed. “Don’t laugh. It’s bad.” “I’m sure that it’s not,” Arttu answered with a smile. She started to play on her guitar and was singing in front of them. Her father was so proud of her that he couldn’t hide his big smile. Tiina who was playing the guitar when she was a teenager was looking more carefully. She was also checking that she was singing at the right height. When it was the hardest moment for Suvi, she started to stress and she messed up. “Fuck!” “Suvi! No bad words. Give me 5€,” her father requested. It was the price to pay if she pronounced bad words. Arttu was collecting her notes and when she would be 18 he would give everything back. He still didn’t know if he would give back as cash or to buy a useful gift. She opened her wallet and gave the smallest note to her father. “Thank you.” Suvi was sad. She messed up and she said a bad word. She knew that she couldn’t do it during the show. “May I suggest you to hear some of my technical advises?” Tiina proposed. Since the trip to Hämeenlinna Suvi was cold with the girlfriend of her father. “What?” “First, let’s be friends again. I don’t want to fight with you. I’m here to help you and it’s sincere. If you wish I can apologize for the thousandth time. I have been a guitarist and I had fears before important shows like you. Let me help you,” she said with a sweet voice. Suvi had the arms crossed. She didn’t like Tiina but the show was coming. She had no choice. She had to improve. “Okay,” she answered and Arttu’s face was again crossed by a huge smile. “First, you have to control your breathing,” the woman said. Arttu left the room. He knew that Tiina would help Suvi and that she would be the best one. For him she would be the best whatever happens.

It was Wednesday end of afternoon. Arttu left the office earlier. Paperwork could wait. The music school was situated at the second floor of a small building that was quite old. The floor was in wood and the ceiling was high. Maybe three meters high. He took a seat at the third row with Tiina, almost in front of the stage. The first performer was a seven year old girl playing the flute. The teacher was accompanying with the piano. It was so sweet. The next youngsters on the stage were three girls singing and dancing. It was some modern pop. Suvi was the sixth performer. When she entered on the stage with her guitar Arttu was smiling. He was so proud of her. But she seemed to be stressed. Tiina was making a sign to tell her to breathe deeply. She sat on the stool, adjusted the height of the microphone and played. The sound of the guitar was clear. Each note was perfectly played. Her voice was in perfect harmony with the music. She preferred to play rock music but her performance on that folk song was amazing. Tiina had a tear in her eye. She did it. It was the first time that everything was perfect. At the end everybody applauded. Arttu got up and applauded more. The other parents did the same. It was a standing ovation. Suvi was looking at her audience with a wide smile.

“Suvi, you have been absolutely terrific!” her father said when she came to him. “It was not perfect. I...” “For me it was perfect. You were the best of all,” he added before to hug his daughter. “I’m so happy that everything went well. It was worth to work together,” Tiina told and Suvi had to admit it. “Let’s have dinner out. What about Mexican food?” Arttu proposed and Suvi was happy. It was her favourite food and she knew that they were going to the Amarillo restaurant. But before they left the room someone interrupted. “I’m sorry to disturb but I’ve to tell you that you are very talented. Continue to work hard,” the man complimented. He looked weird. He was wearing sunglasses inside. A hat was covering his hair but some were visible. His necklace was a chain in silver over a black t-shirt that was under a grey hooded sweatshirt. His jeans had holes and he was wearing snickers. He was holding his jacket on his left arm. “Suvi, this is a huge compliment. Join us for dinner,” her father told to the man. Suvi was confused. Who was he?

In the restaurant he took off his sunglasses. When she recognized him she almost had a shock. “Are you... Anssi? The rock singer?” she asked in a low voice. “Yes, it’s me. I’m proud of you. Your father was right. You are a genius. If you were a bit older you could play the bass for me. Or maybe sometimes sing.” “Really? Oh my God! Dad, did you hear?” “Yes, sweetheart. What do you want to order?” her father asked to change the conversation. He knew that the words of Anssi Koivuranta were flattering but she was only a teenager and school was more important than music. “I would like to play more often the electric guitar but my teacher doesn’t want. She only wants that I play the classical guitar. It’s boring. I like rock. I want to play the bass,” the teenager complained. “You know, to be a good bassist you must first learn very well with a guitar. It’s like for everything. You start with the basics. You are good with the guitar but you can still progress a lot. Work. Always. Every day. Never give up. Music is like ski jumping. You don’t become the king of the hills after have done three jumps on a K25. You know what I mean?” the professional singer said to the amateur that got what he meant. Yes, she still had to learn a lot. But she was motivated. Her aim was still to become a superstar. Anssi promised to come sometimes to give some advices but both knew that he was very busy. His new Finland Tour was starting soon and he would not be often in the capital. “Here I have tickets for my second show in Helsinki. It’s in a month. Feel free to come,” he invited and they thank him.

BeitragVerfasst: Fr 17. Feb 2012, 14:38 
Weltcupsieger

6. Broken hearts

April 5th

That day Janne Happonen came to visit Matti around 8pm after work. The way from the city was quite long and at that time of the day it was better to be careful. Some elks could cross the road at anytime. To have an accident was the last thing he wished. “Hey man. Not too bored?” Havu said while he closed the door of the wooden house almost two hours after the departure. When he saw his friend he was surprised. He was wearing his best looking clothes, he shaved and brushed his hair with a bit of gel. “I’d like to go to town tonight,” he requested. “But you know that you can’t leave that place.” “Havu, please! I need to smell the town, to hear some noise, to see people, to hear them laugh. I promise to be quiet. Please, please, please!” he begged but Havu was embarrassed. He knew that Nina forbid him to drive Matti out. “I’d like to see Cassandra. I’m sure that she would love to see that I’m alive and I still love her.” Janne was really not at ease. He didn’t know that Matti ignored the truth. “I make some tea,” he answered with a shy smile. “What’s wrong? Havu, what did I say to make you feel uncomfortable?” “You should sit,” Janne advised. He filled in two cups with hot water and chose two tea bags. He took the spoons in the drawer. The sugar was already on the wooden table. “Matti, you should forget Cassandra.” “No! Never! She is the only girl who loves me for who I am. I’ve never been so happy that when we were together.” Janne mixed his tea in silence. He knew that he would break Matti. But he didn’t know how to tell him. He hoped that he would discover it by himself. “Is she... with another man now?” Havu didn’t answer. “Do you have some news from her? Please, tell me something about her,” he insisted. “She is not here anymore,” he finally said. “What? What do you mean? Did she move somewhere? In another country?” “You know what I mean,” Havu answered, straight to the point. He took the handkerchief that Matti gave him some years ago before to die. It was a white squared handkerchief with Matti embroidered in blue. It was to collect the tears and to send them to a country that needed water not to blow the nose. “I’m sorry,” he said when he saw that the eyes of his friend were wet. He was mute and motionless like a statue. He knew exactly why Janne was giving the handkerchief. “Cassandra...” he murmured after few minutes. Janne wanted to touch him but he got up and left the house. Havu decided to stay inside. Matti needed some privacy. His heart was broken.

“Can we go to a bar?” Matti asked when he was back. “I should say no. But you are my friend and I can see that you really need a beer. Take your jacket,” Havu said and Matti followed him to the boat. They crossed the dark lake in the middle of the night. There was no light. The boat was hitting the last pieces of ice that broke easily. Matti wondered how Havu knew where he let his car. He was also looking at the sky but there were too many clouds and the stars were hidden. Havu drove silently his car on the countryside roads before to reach the highway. Sometimes he was looking at his passenger. He was looking at the landscape. “How did she die?” Matti broke the silence. “I’m not sure that it’s a good idea that you know it.” “Why? What don’t you dare to tell me? I’m not a three years old kid,” Matti replied, a bit angry. “After the third beer I’ll tell you if you promise to don’t be angry.” “I promise,” he answered, still looking at the road. The highway was quite desert. They just overtook three trucks and few other cars that were going in the direction of the city. Some exited in Veikkola and others in Espoon Keskus.

They went to the bar Kärpänen in front of the train station. Havu ordered six beers and they sat at a table in the back of the bar. Some old guys were already quite drunk. A group of young people were laughing around the big table near the window. The two friends were used to come to that bar. How many times did they get drunk there about five years ago? They drunk the first beer in silence and quite quickly. “How is it with Maria?” Matti asked before to start drinking the second beer. “Well... let’s say that it’s complicated. We are not living together at the moment. She is at Rane’s place.” “What? You let your wife with this sexual predator? Havu! You should go there and convince her to come back home. Or if it’s really desperate, admit the truth and divorce. You won’t be the first one.” “I know how to divorce. I already succeeded twice. Oh my God! I’m better at divorcing than to stay married. I’m a bad guy,” Havu complained. “You’re not bad. You are just unlucky and didn’t find yet the right person for you. Have you thought that it could be a man?” “Matti! Are you already drunk after one and a half beer?” “I’m not. It was just a suggestion. I didn’t want to offend. Sorry,” he said before to drink another sip. Havu was thinking of his life and it made him sad. He knew how it would end with Maria and just that thought was breaking his heart.

When he finished his third beer Matti was looking at Havu with the arms crossed on the table. He was waiting for what Havu had to tell. He hoped that he would keep his promise. For him Havu was a model of honesty. He never betrayed him. “I see that you want the truth,” Havu finally said. “It’s why we are here. Not to get drunk,” Matti replied. “Well... Cassandra died few months after you, in March. She has been murdered in her flat,” he told. Matti couldn’t believe it. Why Cassandra? She was a so lovely person, always there to help. She was a happy person and was able to bring a smile on the face of the saddest person in the world. “Who did it? Is he in jail? Do you have his name?” “You won’t have revenge.” “Why?” “He’s dead,” Havu replied. “I want his name and the place where he is buried. I’ll dig his grave and he will pay. I will have my revenge.” “Don’t be silly. Do you really want his name?” Havu asked again. “Yes, I want. Now.” “It’s your brother. Jussi.” Matti sat back, the mouth half open. He couldn’t believe it. How is brother dared to kill his lovely girlfriend? In the background they could hear some loud rock’n’roll that was contrasting with their conversation. “I need to breathe some fresh air. Don’t move. I come back in a few minutes,” he promised while he took his black sweater with the hood and wore it on the way. Janne was a bit dizzy and he was reacting slowly. Too slowly to stop his friend. He decided to trust him and to wait. He ordered a Cola because he needed to be almost sober to drive back to the island.

BeitragVerfasst: Fr 17. Feb 2012, 22:14 
Weltcupsieger

Matti looked that nobody was following him when he left the bar. There were quite many people smoking outside. He was in a panic. Some of them were looking at him. Did they know who he was? All these eyes looking at him was disturbing. It was too much for him. He was losing control. What were these sounds? Were people talking about him? He had to escape. He walked quickly to Kaisaniemi Park which was just behind the national theatre. He was breathing loudly. He was sweating and his heart was beating fast. Some people were walking in the night. The lights weren’t powerful and people looked like shadows. He couldn’t look at them. He was dazzled by the sorrow and the anger. He walked a bit and looked a couple of times behind him to be sure that nobody was following him. He was out of breathing and his heart was painful. He was in a panic and under shock after the reveal. Near a bench he saw a trash bin. He hit it several times with his foot. He was so angry. To his brother and to Havu. Why didn’t he tell the truth earlier? While he was hitting the bin his hood went back. He stopped and put it back immediately. He looked around him and saw that a couple was walking in his direction. Did they recognize him? The man was taller than the girl and had brown hair. The girl had a lovely smile and curly brown hair. Why did they look like Cassandra and him? He was angry again. His right fist was tight. He walked few steps in their direction. His head was down and he was looking at his feet. “Has your heart ever been broken?” he asked with his deep voice. “Excuse me? What do you mean, man?” “I guess it means no. Too bad.” He punched the face of the man who fell in the grass. “Are you crazy? I call the police!” the girl answered while she opened her handbag. “If you call or scream I kill him,” the man with the hood threatened. The girl wanted to scream but she couldn’t. She was under shock, totally frightened. Matti kicked the guy a couple of times and then murmured: “Look.” “Monster! I call the police anyway!” the girl screamed at him but Matti was faster and broke the phone.

“Let’s go now,” Matti said to Janne when he was back in the bar. “I go to pee and we go.” “No, I say we go now,” Matti insisted. He took the sleeve of his friend and pulled him out. Janne just had time to catch his jacket that was on the chair. “Where is your sweater?” Havu asked when he saw that Matti was in shirt. “It’s a long story.” Havu didn’t know why but he didn’t like it. Havu drove in the direction of the island and hoped to don’t meet his colleagues. He knew that he had too much alcohol in his blood. “What the Hell have you done?” Janne asked when they were on the highway. “Some people saw me. I’ve to disappear. I will not go back to town for a while.” “Nina was right,” Havu replied a bit angry by the behaviour of his friend. He was quite sure that he was lying and that he did something bad. He remembered how he killed the murderers of his brother. He was able of the worst and he didn’t need to have a knife or a gun. He was also sad to notice that he didn’t know this part of the personality of Matti. Was he really a monster or was he under the influence of Nina? He didn’t know what to do but something was sure: he had to stop him. He was a danger for people. His anger was too big. But how could he stop his best friend? Could he give him one more chance to be a good guy? He was frightened that the answer was negative. When he thought of the solution a tear appeared in the corner of his eye. He erased it quickly and hoped that Matti didn’t see it.

A week later Janne went back to the island. “I’m very disappointed. I know what you did in the park.” “Drive me to jail. You are a good cop and I’m a criminal,” Matti answered. He was sat on the sofa with a cover on his legs. “I won’t do it. You are my friend. I checked the case of my colleagues. The boy doesn’t remember you. I think that they will look for other witnesses but I’m quite sure that you are safe. They won’t find you,” Janne explained. “I’m sorry. I was so angry and this couple... They were laughing. They were happy. And now... she is dead,” he murmured, realizing what he did.

“Some days ago I got a phone call from Oulu,” Janne told and Matti looked at him in silence, waiting for the news. But he felt that it was not good news. Janne looked serious. “The letter was a shock. Your father had to call the ambulance for your mother.” “Oh my God. How is she? Don’t tell me that I killed my mother,” Matti asked, stressed with tears in the eyes. “She was at the hospital and now she is in a rest home for elderly people but she doesn’t feel good. Your father told me that you should never contact them again. For them you are dead. Now you are someone else. I’m sorry,” Havu said and hugged his friend who was sad. “I lost my life, my girlfriend, my brother and now my parents. Please Havu, don’t let me down.” “I won’t,” he promised, still holding his friend in his arms.

BeitragVerfasst: Mi 22. Feb 2012, 17:43 
Weltcupsieger

7. Seduction

April 25th

Katrina Lindström, Tiia Ahonen, Nina Olli and Maria Happonen were drinking coffee at the Ursula Café in Kaivopuisto. It was a windy and grey day. “I think that you didn’t meet yet my twins. On the right it’s Timo and on the left Tommi,” Katrina said, proud to Tiia. “They are so cute! But how do you do to know which one is which?” “A mother always knows,” Katrina confessed with a smile. The two boys were blond like their parents with blue eyes and a rounded face. They were sleepy and had a nap in their pram while the women talked about their love lives.

“How many kids do you have now?” Tiia asked. “Six,” the fattest mother answered and the fashion victim couldn’t believe it. “Do you still have a bit of time for you?” “As you can see I’m here with my friends having a cup of coffee. So, yes I’ve a bit of free time. It just requests good planning and organizational skills,” Katrina replied. She had the feeling that Tiia wanted to make fun of her. “And you Tiia. Are you dating someone?” “Well... not really. I’m still looking for someone. I already saw that a guy seemed to be interested in me but I don’t know yet if I want to know him. He is sweet but he likes fishing and he has three kids,” she explained while she turned the spoon in her cup. “Many Finns like fishing. I don’t think that it’s a problem. Now that you are over forty, almost fifty you can’t pretend to find the perfect prince without kids. If you are not crazy about him, look for another guy. Time is running. You are not twenty anymore,” Nina advised and Tiia laughed. “You are not really the best person to know if I should date a guy or not. And you? Who was the last guy who slept with you? Harri maybe. When? Four years ago?” “It was Janne,” Nina admitted. “Which Janne?” Tiia jumped. She couldn’t imagine Nina having sex with her Janne. “My husband,” Maria answered and Tiia laughed. “You slept with Havu... I can’t believe it!” she exclaimed, amused. “It’s true. Well, I don’t want to talk about it,” Nina confessed. “But now he is free, isn’t he Maria?” Tiia asked. “We are separated but he is still officially my husband. Leave him alone. He needs to think of the situation. When we will be divorced you can seduce him. No problem,” the black hair lady told to her friends. She was sad to tell it but it was the truth.

“Oh I’ve to go. I’ve an appointment at my manicure,” Tiia said before to leave the girls. When she was gone Nina confessed that she would never understand that woman. She was so superficial. Only the appearance was important. “Are you scared to don’t find a new husband?” Katrina asked her both friends. “Well, at the moment I don’t think of it. I still have a little hope that Havu will stay with me,” Maria confessed. “I’m not scared. Harri was the love of my life and I know that I won’t find someone who will make me as happy as he did.” Katrina had almost some tears coming to her eyes when she heard the words of her friend. “But what really happened? What changed?” Katrina asked, curious. “I don’t really know. I guess that we didn’t spend enough time together. Every six months he was away for six months. It was quite tough. Then I had a lot of work and I was coming back home late. He didn’t stay home and met his friends in bars. I don’t know how many times he came back drunk. But I always forgave. I think that he started to change the day he really knew that he would never be a father. This was terrible for him. You can’t imagine. I never saw him so sad. Then he spent time with Tami. It was the end. Our marriage was over,” Nina confessed, looking at her empty cup. “Were they just friends? There are some rumours saying that they were... dating,” Katrina dared to ask. “It’s hard to admit. But yes. My husband let me down for a man. I don’t know how serious it was or if he wanted to experiment something new. It was a big betrayal,” Nina told. “Poor Nina. I don’t know how I would react,” the mother of the twins said. “It’s easy. You will tell him to choose. You and the kids or his boyfriend. No woman can forgive this betrayal,” Nina replied.

“Do you remember Maria that some months ago you told me that you were in love with another guy but you didn’t know if you wanted to date or not?” Katrina asked. “Oh that! It was nothing serious and nothing happened,” she answered with a shy smile. “Was it Arttu Lappi? I know that you spent a lot of time with him and he is good looking.” “Katrina! He is already dating. Do you really think that I want to break his couple because mine is not working?” “Who was it?” Katrina insisted, ignoring the question. “I order another coffee. Anyone want more?” Nina asked while she got up. The answers were negative. When Nina was at the desk to fill her cup Maria admitted: “Arttu is nice but he is just a friend. The guy I like is Janne. Rane.” “But that’s great! He is single! Go for him. He is a bit old but he is funny and apparently rich.” “I’m not interested in his money. He is a wonderful person but he had a hard life and I think that he wants to stay alone. I don’t know if he will come back from Canarias Islands. He has a beautiful house near the beach and he loves to be there. When he talks about Finland he is always a bit bitter. And honestly I understand. It’s why we will probably never be together,” Maria told.

“Is everything fine with Vellu?” she added. “I think yes. We have both a busy life and we have maybe twenty minutes for us every evening if we don’t fall asleep before.” “What’s wrong?” Maria asked when she noted that her friend wasn’t confident. “Maybe it’s my imagination or it’s a misunderstanding. I found a couple of time some lipstick marks on his shirts.” “That’s not good at all,” Nina said when she was back. “Nina is right. You should have an eye on that.” “Don’t take it wrong but maybe he misses a bit of... efforts from you,” Nina said. “What do you mean?” Katrina replied. “Maybe you are not exciting enough for him. Do you have sex as often as let’s say two years ago?” There was a long silence. Katrina was thinking. “Oh no! That means that I’m a bad wife,” she said while she sobbed and Maria comforted. “I know who can help you: Tiia,” Nina said.

When Katrina was okay again, they continued their conversation. “How is it with Lauri?” Katrina asked. “Fine. But what do you mean?” the scientist asked perplexed. “Is he your boyfriend?” the blond mother asked and Nina laughed. “No, not at all. My relationship with Lauri is strictly professional.” “How is he? Is he good looking? Is he a nice person?” Katrina asked, very curious. Maria didn’t know how to behave. She should be like Katrina but she knew Lauri. She decided to buy another cup of coffee. “He is not bad, I’ve to say. He is not as clever as Harri or me but he is not too stupid,” she told to her friend. She knew that it was better to say some generalities than to don’t answer. She couldn’t support the curiosity of her friend. “Do you have a picture of him?” “No, and it’s our deal. No picture. He doesn’t want. And I understand.” “Can we meet him?” “Katrina, you have to understand that he is not a normal person. He has to be invisible. At least for some time. I don’t know if you will see him once.” “Did you have sex with him?” she murmured. “I told you. Our relationship is professional. I’ve to go. See you next week,” she said while she was wearing her rain coat.

Once Ana was sleeping, Maria watched some TV. There was nothing interesting and she was zapping from a channel to another. She was cold and took her fleece. At that moment she really missed Havu. She missed their evenings on the sofa to warm each other. Unfortunately that evening would not be the last one when she would be cold on the sofa. She hoped that Havu would open the door and say how sorry he is and that he begged to come back. But the door stayed closed. Maybe her friends were right. She had to admit that he would never come back and she had to look for a new boyfriend. She hid under the fleece and cried in silence.

Veli-Matti arrived from his professional dinner around ten. He was tired and ate too much. He was happy to hear that there was no noise in the house. It meant that all the boys were sleeping. It was not so often. He climbed the stairs and pushed the door of the bedroom. He was surprised to find his wife in sexy underwear on the bed. “I’m hot tonight. What about you?” she said in a sweet voice. “Is it really you Katrina? You look amazing.” She got up, unfastened his tie and opened his shirt. He couldn’t resist and took off his trouser.

Nina was sat in the armchair and was looking at Matti who was reading a book on the sofa. “Take off your shirt,” she said, breaking the silence. “What? Now?” “No, at Christmas. Yes, now,” she replied. He closed his book and did it. “Take off your t-shirt,” she requested and he did it. The light of the fire in the chimney was lightening his chest. She was observing his muscles like if she was looking at a delicious cake. She got up and touched his shoulder. “Nice work. You look really good,” she complimented and he was a bit surprised. “I work out almost every day like you told me.” She sat next to him and touched his chest. She skimmed his muscles with a light touch. He was a bit stressed and she felt it. “Don’t be scared. Here I’m not the scientist. I’m just a woman with a very sexy and exciting man,” she murmured to his ear. She took his hand and put it on her breast. She kissed him softly and then they kissed fervently. They got rid of their clothes and had both their first sex since... two years for her and five years for him.

BeitragVerfasst: Mi 22. Feb 2012, 19:37 
Weltcupsieger

8. To break the rule

May 6th

Nina Olli was at home waiting for a visitor. She was happy that the media pressure was less important than after the announcement of her discovery. She answered almost all the questions of the journalists and scientists of the world during the past months. She was finally enjoying being at home again without people waiting in her garden. But now that she was famous she was travelling a lot to give conferences about her work. She never liked to talk in public but there it was different. She was speaking to students in medicine or biology, to the best professors of the world or to clever journalists. In a month she met more people than during the past ten years. “Mom, why do you have to leave again?” This question came from Saara, the blond daughter of Nina. “Oh sweetie. Mom has to tell to the students of New York what she discovered.” “Why don’t all the students of the world come here to listen to you?” the four years old girl asked. “It’s impossible. There are too numerous. If you were older you would travel with me,” the mother told. “I’m not a baby anymore! I want to be with you.” “Don’t you like to play with Ana?” “No, I want to be with you,” she repeated, sulking. But their conversation was interrupted by the door bell. As expected it was Janne Happonen.

“Thanks for coming. I made some tea with cranberry cookies,” the host announced. “That’s nice of you. I love your cookies,” he said while he got rid of his coat and shoes. She made black tea that she ordered in Nepal. For her it was the best tea. She mixed it with camomile and ginger tea. When the mix was perfect it was delicious. But it was difficult because if the tea bag stayed too long in the teapot then the taste was too strong. The cookies were fresh. She baked them in the early afternoon and they were still a bit warm in the middle. Janne liked them so much that he ate two in a row and she smiled.

“Tomorrow I’m leaving for New York for a week. Can you have an eye on Lauri?” she asked after some small talks. “Yes, sure. I can go there after work two or maybe three times. Should I bring him food?” Janne asked before to take another cookie. “I shopped this morning. The basket is in the kitchen. You don’t need to go today if you are busy. He still has enough food for the weekend. But I’d like that you make sure that he takes his medication.” “What medication?” Havu asked, perplexed. “To stay calm. Sometimes he is impulsive and doesn’t know what he is doing. He can be suddenly very angry and violent. It’s just to avoid that he hurts someone or himself.” Janne crossed his arms and stayed mute. Maybe it was the reason why he suddenly reacted violently in Kaisaniemi Park few weeks ago. “I know him. He is not impulsive,” Havu replied, not so sure anymore about the features of his friend. “Are you sure? You know Janne, he is not exactly the same as before the death.” “What do you mean?” he asked. “Well, I’m studying his case. I can’t explain everything. But I think that his brain has some damages,” she explained and he finished his cup of tea. “Oh and I forbid you to bring him to town. He must not escape. The consequences would be disastrous for him and for me. Make sure that he stayed on the island,” she insisted. “I promise.”

As always Janne needed a bit more than two hours to reach the island. The sun was not totally set and he knew that he had to pay attention when he opened the door of the house. He didn’t want to dazzle his friend. He knocked and opened a little bit the door. “I will come in. Stay in your room,” he warned. Havu took the basket than was on the floor and entered. He put it on the table and closed the door. He saw that some light was coming through the newspaper sheets that covered the windows. He came closer and fixed. It was better. The room was pretty dark and he lighted the candle on the wooden table. He lighted another one that he took with him. He knocked at the door of the bedroom and opened it. The room was totally dark and his friend was waking up. He was moving under the cover and making some kind of growls. “Are you hungry?” Havu asked. “A bit... it’s breakfast time for me,” Matti murmured, still under the cover. “I go to the kitchen to make something. Come when you are ready,” Janne said.

Havu was not a talented cook but he knew the basics of cooking. He made some coffee, eggs and he took ham and cheese from the fridge. Matti arrived at the perfect moment. Everything was ready on the table. “You don’t eat?” he asked when he saw that there was only one plate. “No, I ate too many cookies at Nina’s place. I’m not hungry. I’ll eat something small later before to go to bed,” Havu explained. “Nina is gone?” “She leaves tomorrow,” Janne replied. “May I ask you something?” Matti asked with his begging voice. “Tell me,” Havu simply said. “Do you think that you could... I mean... Well...” “Don’t be shy. Tell me what you want,” Havu answered. “Do you think I could spend few days in town with you?” “Matti... I’m working and I can’t be with you all the time. Look, you wake up at 5-6pm and go to sleep at the sunrise. I work almost on the opposite way. And Nina doesn’t want that you quit this island.” “She will never know it. I will be an angel. Nobody will notice that I’m there. Please, Havu. Can you do it for a friend?” Janne was playing with the key of his car on the table. He was nervous but tried to hide it. He knew that he had to refuse. But Matti was his friend and he knew that he was a good guy. Well expect last time. “Nina will kill me if she heard that you left the island.” “Oh thank you so much!” Matti exclaimed. He got up and hugged his friend who didn’t know if he took the right decision.

They stayed in the wooden house until nine. Janne insisted that Matti took his medication. “If you don’t do it, you will stay here,” he threatened. Matti stayed silently at the table and injected the transparent liquid in his veins. He hoped that it wasn’t some kind of poison that would kill him softly. Then they blew on the candles, locked the door and crossed the lake in the darkness. Inside the car it was cold. Janne turned on the heater at the maximum for the first kilometres of driving on the countryside roads. “Are you not too bored alone the whole day... I mean night?” “A bit. I spend my time to read the books of Nina and Harri. They are quite complicated but interesting. I’m learning about plants, fishes, mushrooms and so on. Otherwise I just fish, warm the sauna, cook or listen to music. Nothing really exciting,” he told. “But you know, at my place it won’t be different. You will just hear some noise during the day. Nothing more,” Havu said. He had to make clear to his friend that he would not be allowed to go in and out how he wanted.

They arrived in Käpylä a bit before midnight. Most of the lights in the houses were off. Janne was just a bit worried about the windows of the red house. The light was on down stairs. Veli-Matti Lindström was probably watching the late news or having a snack before to go to sleep. It wasn’t good news for Havu. Vellu and his wife were very curious and he knew that if they make a noise while they closed the doors of the car or when they open the door of the house the neighbours would run to the window to know the source of the noise. And to be seen was the last thing he wished. Before to exit the car he warned his friend who was silent like a shadow with his hood on the head. Janne didn’t opened the door of the main flat where he lived but the door of the little flat where Ahonen lived some years ago. “I’ve cleaned two weeks ago but nobody went there. It should be okay for few days,” Havu said while he lighted a candle to have some light. He went to the window of the living room and closed the curtains. “I can’t put newspaper pages on the windows. The neighbours will be too suspicious. The second curtains are quite thick but some light will go through anyway. If you sleep under the cover the whole day it shouldn’t be a problem,” Janne explained while he closed the curtain of the small window of the kitchen. “Be invisible. Don’t make noise. Well, you know how to be a shadow.” “Havu, you worry too much for me.” “And don’t burn the house with the candles.” “Havu, I’m not a total idiot. Can I have the key of the door?” Janne was thinking. Was it reasonable to give it? If he had the key it meant that he was free to go wherever he wanted. He already broke the rule by bringing him there and to give the key was like to give him total freedom. “No, but you can call me if you need something. Now I go to sleep. Tomorrow morning around seven I’ll check if everything is alright. Then I’ll come back after work. I can’t tell you when. It will depend on the cases. Usually I end my day at five but these last weeks I ended more often after seven. Good night. Well not for you. Enjoy your night and see you tomorrow,” Happonen wished.

Janne didn’t sleep well. He knew that he broke the rule and he felt like a three year old kid waiting for the punishment. He took a cold shower to wake up, drank black coffee and ate a piece of bread with butter, ham and cheese. He went silently outside the house and looked at the street. There were some lights in all the houses around. The sky was not dark anymore. The sunrise was came already an hour ago. He walked in the direction of the other door and checked quickly that nobody was spying. He thought that his behaviour was wrong. He looked suspicious and people could notice it. He had to act normally but it wasn’t possible. He took the key from his pocket, opened the door and entered quickly. Inside it was dark. There was only one candle lighted on the table in front of the sofa. Matti was sat on the floor between the sofa and the table, reading a book. “Good morning,” Havu said and his friend closed the book and yawned. “Good morning Havu.” “How was your first night here?” “Interesting. Did you know that one of the Lindström boys is leaving the house in the middle of the night?” Matti confessed and Janne was very surprised. “Really? Which one?” “I don’t know their names. I never saw them before. But he exited the house by the roof and then the scale. It was around two. He came back an hour later. Maybe he met his girlfriend,” Matti said with a smile while he got up. “I should talk to Vellu. This night, look at the red house.” “Havu, you want me to spy your neighbours?” “Yes. And anyway you have nothing better to do. After work I’ll give you my camera. Now I need to go.” “Wait. May I ask you to bring me some cacao and cigarettes?” “Are you smoking? I thought that you quitted five years ago,” Havu asked, surprised. “I know but I just would like to smoke to remember the good old times.” “Okay. I bring you that later. Good night. Sleep well.” “And what about a girl?” “No way. Sweet dreams,” Havu wished before to leave the house.

BeitragVerfasst: Do 23. Feb 2012, 17:50 
Weltcupsieger

9. Ikea

May 9th

Like the previous two nights Matti was looking at the red house. One of the kids of Veli-Matti Lindström had his night trip always a little bit before two o’clock. He tried to take a picture with the camera of Havu without the flash but the result was bad. It was almost impossible to see what was going on. That night he decided to be active. He wore his jacket and opened the door. He walked silently behind the young boy and caught him from behind. To avoid that he screamed he put his hand on his mouth. The child was in panic and tried to escape, hitting his arm with his fists. “I won’t be bad with you. I just want to talk to you about your night trips. But if you prefer I can wake up your parents. I will take off my hand and you will tell me your choice,” Matti said before to free the boy. “How did you see me? Where do you live?” the blond boy asked to the man in black. “Answer my questions and I’ll maybe answer yours.” It was the deal. Matti knew that he would make the right choice. He has been also a teenager and he knew that the last thing he wished was that his parents heard about his stupidities. “Okay you won. But it’s cold here to talk.” “Let’s go to my flat. I promise that I won’t kidnap, rape or torture.” “You are weird,” the boy answered. Matti just smiled back. He knew that he had a special sense of humour that wasn’t funny for everybody.

But when he wanted to open the door of the flat he didn’t find the joke funny. The door was locked. “Oh shit. I’ve forgotten my key,” Matti lied. He just forgot that the door locked by itself. “Do you have your wallet with you?” Matti asked. “Yes, but please don’t steal my money.” “I don’t want your money. Can you give me a card that you never use?” The boy looked inside. Which card could he give to the strange man? “Is the Ikea card okay?” “It’s perfect. Do you know how to open a door with a card?” “No... Are you a secret agent?” the blond kid asked. “Kind of. But you have to promise to never tell about me. Okay?” “Yes, sure,” he promised. Matti took the card and explained to the kid who was very interested how to open the door. In less than thirty seconds it was open. “That’s so cool!” the boy exclaimed. They entered and Matti closed the door. Inside it was dark. He lighted a few candles and invited the boy to sit on the sofa. “Do you want a hot chocolate?” Matti proposed. “Oh yes. Good idea.”

“Can I keep your Ikea card?” “Sure I don’t need it. I’m Oliver. What’s your name?” Matti thought a bit. To tell his real name wasn’t a good idea neither his second ID. He decided to invent a third one. “Call me Ikea.” And the boy laughed. “Not too loud. Happonen could hear us. This is a secret meeting,” Matti reminded like if they were secret agents and the boy apologized. “Tell me Oliver. What was the aim of your night mission?” “Do you really want to know it? Well with two other friends who live on the other side of the road we meet to... to drink and smoke.” “What do you drink?” “It depends. Beer but sometimes we challenge each other by drinking shots of vodka.” Matti couldn’t believe it. Teenagers were really stupid. “How old are you?” he asked. “Fifteen.” “If I tell you to don’t do it you will tell me that I’m not your father. I will just tell you that I was doing almost the same and then guess what happened? I became an alcoholic and I used drugs. This is really bad and I warmly disheartened you to do the same. I was stupid and if someone told me what will happen I would probably not be hiding in a dark flat without friends.” “You don’t have friends?” Oliver asked, surprised. “Who want to be friend with me?” “I want. You are a cool guy.” Matti smiled. It was the best compliment he got for a long time. “Cigarette?” he proposed to reward his new friend and the boy accepted. They smoked in silence. Just relaxing. Matti opened the window to avoid that the fire alarm rings. “It’s so good. My first cigarette since five years.” “But it means that now you are a smoker again. My mom said that it’s bad because you will smoke more than before,” Oliver told. “I don’t care. I just want to enjoy my life but in a way she is right. You should stop smoking before to be totally addicted,” Matti advised.

“I think that you should go back to your bed. Be silent and never talk about this night. I will probably never see you again. I wish that you got my words and that you’ll have a happy life,” Matti told. “Ikea, I will never forget you. You are my friend. Forever.” And he hugged his new friend before to leave.

The next morning Janne Happonen arrived in good mood. “How was the night?” “Quiet,” Matti lied. “Did you see the Lindström kid?” the policeman asked. “No, I guess that he was sleeping.” “That’s good. If you see him again, tell me and I’ll talk to Vellu.” “I will,” he promised even if he knew that he would not honour it. “Here is the newspaper. You are maybe interested in what’s going on in the world.” “Thanks a lot. Last time I read a newspaper was five years ago. My world vision is really narrow since. It’s just Nina, you and me. Here or on the island. I’ve no clue of who is the president of Finland. What a shame,” he told. “I know that you’d like to go out but you can’t. It’s too dangerous.” “Havu, this is Nina’s bullshit. Nobody knows how Lauri looks like. And everybody has forgotten me. What is the chance I meet Vellu or Rane in town?” “You’ll be surprised. It’s always when you are sure to be alone that you meet someone who knows you. If it was a request to go to town, the answer is still the same: no. Sleep well,” Janne answered before to close the door.

BeitragVerfasst: Fr 24. Feb 2012, 16:04 
Weltcupsieger

Few nights later Matti heard that someone was knocking at his door. He closed his book and asked to the door who was it. “Ikea, it’s me. Oliver.” He opened the door and the kid entered in the lobby. “What are you doing here? You promised to stay in your bed,” Matti reminded, angry. “It’s Friday. Don’t you want to go to town to have a walk? To see people, to listen to music and to have fun. I’ve my skateboard with me,” Oliver tried to convinced. It was a bad idea. Matti knew it. “Okay but just for a small walk and then we go back.” Oliver smiled, enthusiast. Matti went to the window that was on the side of the garden and opened it. Then he joined the kid.

They walked down the little street and arrived to a bigger one with trees on both sides and with tram tracks in the middle. There was no car. They waited few minutes for the tram. Oliver knew exactly at what time it was coming. They entered by the back door and didn’t pay the ticket. Matti hoped that there wouldn’t be a night check. But they were lucky. They exited near the train station. Matti hid his face as much as he could under his hood. He couldn’t remember that the city centre was so enlightened. Many taxis were waiting and many cars were driving. He wondered what they were doing so late. Of course, it was a stupid thought. They were going to bars or clubs. Matti followed the kid. The sounds were loud and his ears weren’t used anymore to get so many sounds at the same time. It was a kind of chaos in his head. When a car was coming in front of them he had to close his eyes. The lights were powerful and his eyes were dazzled. “Where are we going?” he asked while they crossed the Mannerheimintie. “To Kamppi. It’s a cool place to skateboard.” “I’m not sure that it’s a good place. There are so many people,” he complained. “Don’t worry. Nobody will see us. They are all drunk,” Oliver justified.

They went on the square in front of the cinema. Many young people were drinking beer on the benches or skateboarding on the stairs, barriers or benches. Oliver jumped on his board and went to a little group of boys. Matti stayed apart. He really didn’t like it. He looked around that nobody was looking at him. They were so many faces to check that he was in a panic. “This is Ikea my new friend!” Oliver said when he was closer with his friends. Matti was scared. “Hi,” he just said as calmly as possible. “Hey grandpa, can you skateboard?” the boy with the blue and green sweater asked. Matti could feel the challenge but also that that boy was making fun of him. “I did it many years ago when you were still swimming in the balls of your father.” The kids looked at him with wide open eyes. “Oh Oliver! You didn’t lie. This guy is so cool!” the boy replied, half laughing. “I’m Mika. If you can jump the stairs without falling, you can join our team. I show you,” the boy challenged. He took his board with a skull, pushed it with one leg, jumped and landed five stairs down, screaming his satisfaction. It didn’t look difficult. It was only five stairs. Oliver gave his board to Matti. Only five stairs, he said for himself. He put the skateboard on the ground and put his right foot on it. Then he pushed with his left foot. The stairs were coming closer and closer. He put his left foot on the board and jumped. He landed on the ground but after less than two meters of run he lost control and fell. The ground was hard and he hit his left hip and his elbow. He winced but tried to hide it to the kids. He got up and caught the board. “Well the landing was not perfect but you made it. Welcome,” Mika said and Matti smiled.

They played a long time. How many minutes or hours? It was impossible to know. Their game was interrupted by the arrival of a police car. It was there because two drunken guys were fighting. “Hey kids. How old are you?” a policeman asked. None of them dared to answer. “They are with me. I’m the father of this one,” Matti lied when he showed Oliver. The policeman looked at his face that was half in the light of the street lamp. “It’s okay,” the policeman said before to leave. “Thank you,” the kids said in a low voice. “I think that he is right. It’s pretty late. Let’s go home,” the adult suggested. “Excuse me sir with the black sweater. Can I see you ID?” The voice came from behind. Matti was scared. How could he escape? Which lie could he tell? He turned and looked at the policeman. “Come with me immediately!” the policeman ordered. Matti knew this voice. He would be punished for sure and it was his last trip outside for a long time. “What the hell are you doing here? Every time I give you a little bit of freedom, you cross the line. What’s wrong with you?” Janne Happonen asked, extremely angry but in a low voice. “I will go home now. I promise. And with Oliver.” “What? Are you kidding? You are really the dumbest person I know. Bring the kid here I drive you home,” he ordered.

“Go home and wait for me in silence,” Havu told when he opened the door. He became even angrier when he saw that the window was opened. Everything was planned. It was how he wanted to go back home without the key. When the door was closed he went back to the car and tried to let his anger outside. He didn’t want to scare the kid. “Oliver, you should never go out without the agreement of your parents. Outside there are plenty of dangers. I know that you think that I treat you like a five year old kid. But you don’t know how bad some people can be. And the police don’t come always on time to rescue. You can also have an accident. You will have plenty of other opportunities to go out when you’ll be older. It’s just a matter of time. Now I will have to tell what you did to your parents. But before you have to promise that you will never talk about the guy that was with you. Okay?” Janne asked. “I promise to stay silent if I can just go home. If you tell them about this night I tell them about Ikea,” Oliver told his deal. Havu was embarrassed. As a policeman he had to tell to Vellu about the night trip. But on the other hand he couldn’t take the risk that someone heard about Matti. “Okay, you won. Go home,” Janne said bitter while he opened the door of the car. “But don’t do it again,” he reminded.

When the kid was inside the house Janne opened the door of the small flat and closed it immediately behind him. It was dark and just three candles were enlightened on the living room table. Matti was sat between the table and the sofa on the carpet. Janne went on the other side of the table and didn’t sit. He was dominating his friend. He crossed his arms and looked severe. Matti knew that the following minutes would not be pleasant. He was stressed and played with his fingers. “Did you lose your mind? What were you thinking of? You know that you don’t have to go out alone. Why do you break the rules?” The words were like slaps he couldn’t avoid. “You don’t know what it means to me to be in the middle of people. I felt alive,” he said with tears in the eyes. “Bullshit. You know that you are alive. Nina was right. I was an idiot to drive you here. Now that Oliver knows that you are here you are not safe anymore. He will tell it to his parents sooner or later and I don’t trust his friends,” Havu told. “I didn’t tell my real ID. He doesn’t know who I am. I told him to call me Ikea. I’m not totally brainless,” Matti replied. “You are lucky that I don’t have enough time to drive you to the island and be back on time for work. Enjoy your last hours here. Tomorrow after work I drive you back and don’t count on me to bring you back to town without the agreement of Nina,” Havu announced before to leave the flat.

What Havu didn’t understand was that Matti had the heart broken since he heard about the death of his girlfriend and he wasn’t as strong as before to face such an attack. It was also mentally hard to be invisible, to don’t have privacy and freedom. He was a modern kind of slave. Oliver offered him some joy and he felt important. These kids in Kamppi trusted him. They treated him like any other boy. No need to hide. But after the words of Havu, Matti felt again the big anger he had in him becoming again important. His teeth were tight. He got up, went to the kitchen and took a knife. “I know why you are angry, Havu,” Matti said to the knife. “It’s because someone broke your heart many years ago. But don’t worry. You will be revenged.” He opened the window, hid the knife in his sweater, covered his hair with the hood and jumped in the tram.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 28. Feb 2012, 21:29 
Weltcupsieger

10. You crossed the last border

May 13th

Like every day, Janne Happonen was drinking too much coffee. He realized that it was only eleven and he was filling his cup for the sixth time. Was it possible to be addicted to coffee? Maybe. But it wasn’t as bad as drugs or alcohol. He wasn’t motivated to work during the weekend. He was supposed to be free and to spend the day with his daughter but two of his colleagues were sick and he had to work. On the way to his office a question stopped him. “But who is Havu?” He saw that his colleague Tapio Kaunen was looking at some pictures and talking to his teammate. “I’m sorry to interrupt but did you say: Havu?” Happonen asked. “Yes, why? Do you know who it is or what it means?” the red hair inspector asked. “It’s me. It’s my nickname. My friends call me Havu because I’ve another friend who is also Janne and it’s to don’t make confusion,” Janne explained. “Come and sit,” Tapio said while he showed the empty seat. He looked at his folder and to pictures that Janne couldn’t see. “Do you know Eeva Wikström?” Janne thought a bit. He looked at the ceiling and tried to remember. He saw that there was a big spider net on the lamp. “No, I don’t,” he answered. “And Eeva Stringberg?” “Yes, she was my second wife. We divorced about ten years ago. Why do you ask me that?” “Do you remember the Hautamäki case?” “Yeah...” Havu didn’t know what to expect. What could be the link with the murder of Jussi, the attack of Tami and his ex-wife? “Your ex-wife has been murdered by the same guy. I’m sorry for you.” “What? But how is that possible? This killer had revenge for my friends. There is a mistake. None of them knew my ex-wife. How did she died?” “I think that you need a break. Go outside and smoke a cigarette. We continue later.” “I don’t smoke.”

Janne Happonen and his colleague were in the street just in front of the main entrance of the police station. Tapio proposed a cigarette to his colleague who accepted after have insisted. He was not used to smoke. Just sometimes a cigar but nothing else. At the moment he couldn’t really think. His gesture was mechanical. “Where you in touch with her?” the red hair man broke the silence. “No... I even didn’t know that she was married with another man,” Janne admitted while he pushed a little stone with his foot. “I swear that we’ll find this swine.” Janne swallowed when he heard the word he used. Eeva quitted the police some years ago but she was still a member of this strange family which was the police. Janne was a bit afraid that Tapio and the others discovered who was the killer and had revenge.

When they were back inside Havu asked again how they linked the murder with the Hautamäki case. “Your name was written with her blood on the wall. Same signature,” Tapio told. “But why me? And why Eeva? I’m a bit lost,” Janne confessed. “Happonen, we think that you are the target of this guy. First your friends and now your family. He is getting closer.” “No, no, no. There must be a mistake. Who want to kill my family? Why this guy is not coming directly to me? I won’t let him touch my family.” “We guess that he is a cowardly. You are strong. Eeva was a girl. Tami wasn’t really strong. And apparently he didn’t know Morales, Barberos and Marquez. It is why he was so brutal with them. He had no remorse. But it’s different for the others. He knew the victims. We are still convinced that it’s one of your friends. Are you sure that you don’t know who it can be?” Tapio insisted. “My friends are good people. None of them is able to kill,” Havu said before to go back to his office, confused and sad. On the way he took his seventh coffee. Why was he addicted to that horrible coffee?

“You crossed the last border! It’s enough! I don’t trust you anymore. Pack and come immediately to the car,” Havu ordered, very angry when he entered in the bedroom of little flat. His sight was dark and his arms were crossed. Matti didn’t say a word. He knew why his friend was angry. He got up, wore his clothes, made the bed and put his extra clothes in his bag. He was sad that Havu reacted so badly. Why didn’t he admit that he helped?

It was only four o’clock and the sun was still shining. Matti was covering his face with a t-shirt. The light was dazzling his eyes. Havu drove quite fast on the highway. He just wanted to drive back his friend to the island before to take a hot shower at home. “Why are you so mad at me?” Matti said when they were near Lohja. “Are you kidding? You killed my ex-wife. You cut her throat! May I know what’s wrong in your mind? You can’t kill people!” Janne shouted on him. Again, the words were like slaps. “I did it to help you. You are sad because of her. She broke your heart.” “Is it a joke? We divorced about ten years ago. I didn’t think of her for the last seven years. At least. Yes, she broke my heart. But I healed. I turned the page. She was not the right one for me and my behaviour was not the best. Did you know that you destroyed a family last night? She was married and had a five year old daughter,” he explained. “I’m sorry. I won’t do it anymore.” “I hope so! Do I have to remind you that it’s written in the bible that you can’t kill? You are lucky to be what you are. Otherwise I would have sent you to jail after you revenged your brother.” Matti didn’t answer. He was looking at the trees through the shirt. “What would have happened if I haven’t had killed the drug dealers? They would have spent maybe just one or two years in jail. It’s not enough. They murdered wildly my brother who was a new man. He totally changed.” “Matti, you can’t apply the talion. The best is to let the police investigate and to catch them. Then they are judged and it’s the justice that decided how they have to be punished. You are not the justice and you are not God. You are just...” “A monster. I know.” “No, for me you are human being and you belong to the same rules as any of us.” “Will you send me to jail?” “How can I? You are dead for the society. What I will say is cruel but you have to remember it. If you continue to behave that way I will not hesitate to kill you. Am I clear?” Havu said calmly and seriously. “You won’t do it.” Janne broke violently and stopped the car on the side of the highway. “Get out of the car.” “What?” “Do it!” He opened the door and Havu made a sign to go to the forest.

They walked at thirty meters from the car. “Kneel,” Janne ordered. “Havu, what are you doing?” Matti asked with a shaking voice. He was scared. Havu looked serious. He took his pistol that was under his jacket and touched the head of his friend who was shaking with the extremity of the canon. “I’m not kidding. You have to promise to obey to all the rules: Nina’s rules, my rules, justice rules, police rules, government rules and God’s rules. Do it or I kill you here,” Janne said while he armed. “I promise,” Matti said in a low voice with tears in his eyes. “Louder.” “I promise!” “That’s better.” “Janne, will you be really able to pull the trigger?” Matti asked while he got up. “You shouldn’t have asked,” Havu said seriously. He pointed his friend who closed his eyes and begged to don’t shoot. But he did it. The deep sound had an echo far around and some birds flew away. He opened his eyes and was surprised to don’t feel any pain. “This was a warning. I shot in the tree. But next time I won’t miss you. Do you get it?” “Yes...” “Let’s continue our trip,” Janne said in a calm voice and Matti was thrilling.

The two friends didn’t arrive to their destination. On the countryside road they were again quarrelling about the future. Havu wanted to talk about the murder to Nina and Matti replied that it was a very bad idea. Nina would probably kill him. “You are a bad guy. Nobody can trust you. What do you want us to do with you? To keep you forever on that island?” Havu said. “I’m not a bad guy. But you don’t understand. You don’t know what I feel.” “It’s not an excuse! I arrest plenty of guys like you and their destiny is to end up in jail. But there are some who want to change. Like your brother. I hope that you have also this good side in you. Matti, can’t you be again the Matti you were before your death? I miss him. Why are you so angry? What did Nina do to you?” Happonen asked. “Let me alone. I don’t want to talk about it with you. You are always saying that I’m bad! Your way of talking is aggressive. I feel bad. Havu I need some peace and some love. I’m not an object. I’ve a heart. You don’t know how sad I am.” “Oh please stop crying. You’re not a girl,” Havu replied. “You see! You don’t understand! Do you have a heart?” “Stop talking! I don’t want to hear you until we are on the island.” Havu wasn’t looking at the dark countryside road and he didn’t see the obstacle. There was a moose in the middle of the road. When he saw it, it was too late. He broke strongly but the car slipped on the layer of wet clay and hit the animal that crashed on the bonnet and broke the front window.

BeitragVerfasst: Mi 29. Feb 2012, 18:18 
Weltcupsieger

“Fuck!” Havu exclaimed while he unfastened his seatbelt. He opened the door of the car and looked at the animal on the road. It was dead and its blood was flowing on the ground. The engine was smoking and it didn’t look good at all. “Are you okay?” he asked when he opened the passenger door. “I... I don’t know. Havu, what happened?” Matti murmured. His ribs were hurting like hell and he was bleeding over the eyebrow. The horns of the moose went through the window and hit his head while he went to the airbag. “I’m cold.” Havu opened the back door and took a fleece. “It will be okay.” “How will we go home?” Matti asked. “I don’t know. I can’t call the police or the ambulance. Nina is still in the plane from New York,” Janne said a bit desperate. They were not so far from the boat. Maybe twelve kilometres were left. But it was too much for them to walk and it was getting colder and colder. Janne saw only one solution. He didn’t like it but he had no choice. He took his phone and called.

Katrina Lindström was in the kitchen, putting the plates to the dishwasher when she heard her phone. Her hands were wet and she didn’t want to run. It was probably Maria or Tiia. It wasn’t important. But it insisted. She washed her hands and answered. “Oh Havu what a...” “Listen to me. It’s very important,” he interrupted. “Ask Maria or anyone else to do babysitting for you. Say that you are going to see an old friend who is sick. Take some clothes with you. Take also your pharmacy. Are you able to do stitches?” “But what are you talking about?” “I can’t explain. It’s a secret mission and I need your help. Isn’t it you who wanted to live something extraordinary in your life?” “Yes...” she answered. “Fine. Prepare everything and don’t talk about it. Even to Vellu. Then take the highway in direction of Turku. I will send you the GPS coordinates on your phone. Be quick. My friend is injured, it’s fucking cold, we have no food and you have about an hour and forty minutes of driving. The countdown has already started.” And Havu ended up the call. He hoped that she would cooperate. Otherwise they would be in big trouble. “Havu, I will hide in the forest. Call the police. You don’t deserve to die now.” “Don’t be silly. She will come and help us. You won’t die tonight. And I will not let you down. The accident is my fault and I will do everything to save you,” Havu promised to Matti who was freezing. Right after the sunset the temperature dramatically fell.

Katrina was under high stress and high excitement. She had no idea of what Havu was doing and what to expect. Before to marry Vellu and to have her first child she was a nurse. She was working in a rest home. She never really missed her work because she had enough to do with her kids. How many knees and elbows did she heal after a bike or skateboard accident? How many times did she heal the flu of her children and all the others in the neighbourhood? She also made stitches. Once her second child, Kimi, fell from the tree and she had to make two. The doctor was impressed by her work. She was following the driving instructions on her GPS. What was Havu doing so far away in the countryside in the late afternoon? She was driving since an hour and forty minutes. She should be close. She hoped to don’t arrive too late. What would happen if his friend died because she arrived too late? She couldn’t imagine how guilty she would feel. Suddenly after a turn on the left she saw the red triangle to warn that there was a car in difficulty at less than hundred meters. She slowed down and saw the car after the following curve.

“Oh my God Havu! Are you okay?” she said in a panic when she saw her neighbour. “I’m fine. A bit cold but it’s okay. Can you look at my friend and give me your keys,” he asked and she did it. He drove the minibus in front of his car and opened the back. He made some room and put the animal inside. Katrina opened the passenger door. “Hello. I’m Katrina. I’m here to help you. Are you okay?” she asked still under stress. She took her pharmacy and prepared the needed material. “What’s your name?” “Lauri,” he answered. “What day is it?” “Saturday I think.” “When are you born?” “I’m... I don’t know.” “Where do you live?” she asked. “I don’t know.” “Why do you ask these questions?” Havu said when he was back. “It’s just the routine. It’s to check that he is okay. I think that he might have a trauma to don’t remember when he is born. He should go to the hospital,” she suggested. Havu didn’t like the idea and it wasn’t necessary in his point of view. “I will drive you to the hospital. Go at the back and check that he is okay,” Havu replied. They both helped Matti to get out of the bumped car. His ribs were painful and his teeth were tight.

Less than fifteen minutes later Janne stopped the minibus under the trees near the lake. There was no light but he knew exactly where he was. He opened the back door and he helped Matti to go the boat. “By boat? Which hospital is nearby?” she asked, perplexed. “The best we can find. Go to the boat. I will row,” he said while he put her bag and pharmacy to the little wooden boat. Luckily there was no wind. It was cold enough. About twenty minutes later they arrived on the island. Janne jumped on the shore and helped Katrina and Matti to exit the boat. “What is this place?” Katrina asked when she saw the two floors wooden house under the trees on the island. Nobody answered. Janne opened the door and lighted the three candles on the table. “I come back soon. I’ve something in the car,” he said before to disappear. Matti sat on the bench. “I will clean better your wound. But first, let’s have some more light.” “No! Well, as less as possible. My eyes are very sensitive to light,” Matti explained. “I’m sorry. Okay. Close your eyes while I take care of you. Then I will switch off the light,” she proposed and he accepted.

Janne Happonen came back on the island almost an hour later. The moose was quite heavy and the boat was close to sink. He didn’t want to end in the cold water and to die alone in the darkness. When he reached the island he carried the animal to the sauna house. It was hard work and he was sweating. He took a knife and started to take the skin away and to take off the organs. It wasn’t a pleasant job but he had to do it to don’t lose the meat. He was glad to have learnt to do it with his grandfather when he was a teenager. He never killed an animal with a rifle but he helped the old man to prepare it. When he was done he went to the main house. “Oh my God! What happened to you?” Katrina exclaimed, scared. He was covered of blood. “It’s the blood of the moose. I take a shower,” he said before to disappear. Katrina filled a cup with tea and brought it to the bedroom which was at the same floor. “Drink that before to sleep. You will feel better,” she said in a sweet voice. “Thank you for all what you did for me,” Matti replied. She stayed a bit with him in the silence of the darkness of the room. When the cup was empty she took it and left the room.

Once she was back in the kitchen she wondered where Janne was. The shower wasn’t running anymore and his shoes weren’t in the entrance. She took her jacket and opened the door. She walked on the path and arrived to the shore. Suddenly she realized that the boat wasn’t there anymore. She was in a panic. How would she come back home? She went back to the house. “Lauri! Lauri!” she woke him up. “Havu and the boat are not there anymore! I have to go home!” “Well... if you are planning to swim I can already tell you that you won’t go very far. The water is extremely cold. Then I will have two options: or to let you drown and I will never forgive myself or to jump to the water but we will both die. I suggest that you stay here with me. Havu always comes back,” Matti told, half sleeping. “To stay with you?” “I’m not a bad guy and I don’t force you to sleep with me. There are four rooms upstairs. On the right it’s the room of Nina. There are two other double rooms and a single room. I will not go upstairs. I promise to stay here. If you don’t want to talk with me, it’s fine. If you want to cook you are free to do it and if you are lazy I can do it. I’m not a master but I’m still alive and not sick. I guess that my cooking is okay. You can use the bathroom whenever you want. Ladies first,” he told before to yawn. “Thank you. I’m sorry. I let you sleep now. Good night,” she said before to close the door.

It was midnight but she couldn’t sleep. She was in the living room observing the picture frames. It was the cottage of Nina. There was no doubt. But who was Lauri? There was no picture of him. Only Harri. Was he the boyfriend of Nina she saw some years ago? Or the boyfriend of Havu how she guessed during the gig of Wings of Destiny? At least he seemed to be a nice person. Was he really the guy that came back from the other side? She took her phone and wanted to send a message to her husband. But she remembered what Havu told her. She decided to obey. And she was living something unbelievable. She would maybe discover the secrets of Havu and Nina at the same time. She hoped that this Lauri would be talkative. Finally she decided to go to sleep but not in the bedroom of Nina and not with the penguins of Harri. She took the room on the left.

The next morning she had the surprise to find Lauri on the sofa with a cover on his legs reading a book. “Do you feel better?” she asked. “Yes, my head is almost not hurting. But I can feel my ribs at each movement. That’s horrible,” he complained. “I can do nothing more. Rest a lot and don’t carry heavy things. Are you hungry? I’ll make some breakfast.” “You mean dinner,” he said and she looked at him very surprised. It was only eight o’clock. “Havu didn’t tell you? Because of my sun light allergy I live by night. I wake up around four in the afternoon and I go to sleep around nine in the morning. Well, only in winter. In summer it’s horrible,” he explained. “Really? I didn’t know... today it’s cloudy. I don’t think that we’ll see the sun. Don’t you want to stay with me a bit longer? We can just talk and when you are tired you can go to sleep,” she proposed. She did it because she was scared to be alone in an empty house in the middle of nowhere. She missed the screams of her boys, the surprise visits of the neighbours and the sound of the tram breaks in the street down.

“So, this is the summer cottage of Nina,” Katrina said while she sat with a cup of coffee. “Why are there so many bedrooms? Harri and Nina had no kids together.” “Harri bought this island with the house before to know Nina. He wanted to have a little paradise for his family. But he ignored that he was sterile. Well almost. To don’t have kids is the tragedy of his life. It was bigger than what happened later. I’m sure that he would have been a wonderful father. A bit strange but a good one.” “How do you know it? Were you a close friend of him?” she asked. “It’s hard to explain. He told us when we came there the first time.” “We? Havu and you?” she asked curious. “Yes, but also Rane, Vellu, Tami and Kalle.” She couldn’t believe it. It meant that her husband knew this Lauri. How could he hide it? What was the secret? “Are you friend with my husband, Veli-Matti?” “Not really.” “How did you meet Nina?” “It was at the housewarming party of Havu. Many years ago.” “You were there! Me too!” Katrina exclaimed but she was still unable to remember him. “I remember you,” Matti answered and she was ashamed. How could she have no memory of him? A so good looking guy? “Did you come to my house?” “No, never,” he answered. Suddenly he realized that he was tired and he told more than what he was supposed to tell. He felt stupid. Again he broke a rule. Nina’s rule. “Please, keep it secret. I’ll be in big trouble if Havu or Nina hears about our conversation.” “I promise. But why are you so sad? I can see it in your eyes.” After these words he turned his head. “You can’t understand.” He got up and closed the door of his room.

BeitragVerfasst: Do 1. Mär 2012, 18:07 
Weltcupsieger

At the end of the afternoon the door opened again. “Did you sleep well?” she asked with a smile. “Not really,” he said while he sat at the table. The last days had been difficult. He touched freedom with the extremity of his fingers, he made his friend mad and he talked too much to that woman. And his ribs were hurting. She prepared some breakfast and coffee for him. “I thought of what you said and I saw how sad you were. I think that you should come with me. Our house is not big but I will be happy to help an old friend of my husband.” “Thanks but I can’t leave this place. Nina will never let me go and Havu neither,” he said looking at the cup. “Why?” “It’s a long story,” he simply answered. “Where are the marks you have in your back coming from?” she asked seriously. She saw it even if the light was bad when she was checking his ribs. “Don’t ask.” “Is it Havu or Nina who is beating you? And what are the other scars?” she saw that he was angry but also sad. He was pressing his lips together and his eyes were wet. “Let’s find a way to leave this island. I can call my husband.” “Don’t do it. They will kill me. I’m not like you. I’m a shadow. I’ve to be invisible. Nobody must know that I’m here,” he said, looking around. “But what did they do to you? You are a person. You are Lauri. You have a heart. You are alive,” she said in a low voice and she touched his arm. “I’m not Lauri.” “I’m lost. Help me to understand and I’ll help you,” she proposed. “I can’t. They will kill you if I tell you the truth. I can’t let them deprive your kids of their wonderful mother.” “How do you want me to call you? Lauri seems to make you sad. What is your name?” “Matti.” “Matti, listen. I can feel that at the moment you are really bad. You are mentally really down. You have too much on your heart. You need to talk. If you want to do it with me you can. I will not repeat it. You can trust me. I’ve been a nurse and I kept many secrets. If you don’t do it soon you will be broken forever. And honestly I doubt that Nina can help. She is maybe the greatest scientist but she has no social skills. Matti, you are a wonderful person. Let me help you,” she said while she took his hands.

But she didn’t expect that reaction. His eyes were closed and he took firmly her hands. He was making some strange little movements. His eyes were moving under his eyelids. “I can see her.” “Who?” she asked, perplexed. Suddenly he dropped her hands and opened his eyes, out of breathe. “Are you okay?” she asked a bit worried. “Yes, yes I am.” “What did you see?” she asked, curious but also frightened. “Someone close to you. She is older. Maybe sixty or seventy. She is blond. She loves you. Maybe an aunt or your mother,” he said, panting. “Is someone deceased recently in your family?” he asked. “My mother died four months ago. Did you see her?” she asked surprised. “I think so. Don’t be scared but I think that I’m able to see the other side...” he admitted, a bit scared of his skill. “I don’t know what to say. Did it happen with other people?” she asked. “I don’t know. I never did it before. I never took the hands of Nina or Havu. Which kind of monster am I?” “You’re not. I read that some other people can interact with ghosts and they are as normal as you and me,” she reassured. He wanted to tell more. But he was scared that she laughed or that Nina punished him. He was not supposed to talk about it. “Do you think that you can do it again? Can you talk to her?” she asked in a sweet voice. “I don’t know. It’s so weird. There was a strange light and some kind of steam or clouds. She wasn’t alone. I saw other people. But they were blurry,” he explained.

“Can you tell her that I miss her much?” she insisted. He took her right hand and slowly approached the left hand. When he got it he closed immediately his eyes. He was on the other side. She knew it. “She... she is proud of you... you... you are an excellent mother... but you have to have a closer look on Oliver. He.. he is not on the right track... because of his friends. And don’t forget to... do I have to repeat it?” Matti asked probably to the ghost. “Yes, tell me,” Katrina insisted. “Don’t forget to be sexy and seduce your husband,” Matti repeated and swallowed. Then he opened his eyes and looked at Katrina. “She is gone. She is sure that you will take the right decisions. She will always have an eye on you. I’m sorry,” he said when he saw that a tear was running on her right cheek. “What did she mean? That my son is behaving badly? And that my husband doesn’t love me anymore?” “I don’t know and I can’t ask more. She is gone,” he confessed before to hug.

It was midnight and Katrina was still awake. “You are not going to sleep?” “No, I want to be with you. You need company. I went to sleep this afternoon. I don’t know if I’ll be able to stay awake till eight but I’ll do my best. Tell me more about you. What do you like? What are you favourite books? Or movies?” she asked with a cup of tea in her hand. The fire was on and the wood was crackling in the chimney. They talked about everything that night. Matti loved it. It was the first time since a very long time that someone was really interested in who he was and not what he was. She treated him like any other person. They didn’t talk about Nina, Janne, his death, his reborn or his past. “You are amazing. You deserve to leave this prison and to live your own life. I’m sure that you’ll find someone who will love you. You are a good person,” she said. “I don’t know. I also did some horrible things and I’m not proud of it. I will never get rid of all my secrets and I’ll never be able to have a normal life. I belong to this island.” “No, I will talk to Havu. I will be happy to help you.” “Katrina you can’t help me. And now you will live with a heavy secret. You will never be allowed to talk about me. If you talk Nina will...” “What will she do?” “She will force me to do something bad and I will have no choice. Someone will die.” “What are you talking about?” she asked scared. “You really want to know? Do you remember the accident of Harri? It wasn’t an accident. Nina destroyed his life. Why? Because he wanted to know what she was doing. And maybe also because she couldn’t accept that he was gay. Do you remember the accident of Tami? I was supposed to kill him because he discovered what she was doing. I guess that the other reason was because he was the boyfriend of her husband. But I was unable to kill him. How can I kill one of my friends? If you talk about me she will ask me to kill you. But I won’t do it. I will have to kill myself.” “Don’t do it. We can always talk. Nina is not that bad.” “Are you sure? She is manipulating people, lying and organizing murders. She is so selfish too. Now she is billionaire. I asked her to give some money to people who needed it. Especially people infected by the AIDS virus. Even if now there are some efficient treatments, not everybody has access to them and some people are too badly sick to be saved. She refused. I also proposed to help the single mothers or the sterile couples that wanted to adopt a child. She refused too.” “You did your best. You can’t turn her to a good person. She doesn’t have a heart. She is a stone.”

At two in the morning they were in the kitchen, cooking together some mushrooms with bread. “I picked them during the autumn. There are plenty on the island. Also berries. And all the fishes in the freezer come from the lake,” he explained. “I’m really impressed. Good job.” “Thanks. And now we have moose meat. You can bring some home. I don’t need to have so much just for myself,” he said with a wide smile. “How do you follow what’s going on outside? Do you have a radio or a computer somewhere? Or maybe Internet on your phone?” she asked and he laughed. “No, my world is as small as this island. I’ve no clue of what is going on further if Havu doesn’t bring me the newspapers of the week. My phone can just send SMS and call. But it’s very limited. I can only contact Nina or Havu,” he explained. “I will give you my number. You can call me whenever you want. If I don’t answer it’s because I’m baking. But I always call back right after.” “If Nina sees that I’m calling someone else she will kill me.” She went to the living room and took the book he was reading. She opened it to the page hundred and wrote her number. “Erase immediately the historic of your calls and nobody will hear about it.” “How can I thank you?” “You don’t have to.”

Suddenly the door opened and they jumped. It was Havu and they were relieved. “It’s good that you are awake. I drive you back to Helsinki,” Janne announced. “Diner is ready. You can join us,” she replied. He protested but he had no choice. The others sat around the table. “I hope that the two days there were not too difficult,” Havu said to Katrina. “No, not at all. He is a really nice person. Very funny, cultivated and clever. He almost read all the books that are on the shelf!” she exclaimed proud of him. “He has nothing else to do,” Janne answered, pedestrian. “Can’t you accept his abilities? I’m sure that you have never been to an opera or to the theatre.” “What else did you talk about? Tell your secrets to everybody. I’m proud of you. The situation is complex at the moment. You have to be discreet,” Havu told to Matti who looked down. Again he felt the words like slaps. “Havu, it’s not because your life is a mess that you have to talk to him like if he was a dog. You hurt him! He suffers,” she explained. “And me? Who cares of me? I suffer since years. I’ve to lie to everybody because of Nina and him. I’ve to cover all the mess he and she are doing. Why do you think that my marriage is over? Yes, because of these two. My heart is broken but nobody listen to me. I’m close to be burnt out or to kill myself. Why didn’t I shot you in the woods,” he said, looking at his friend who felt worse and worse. Everything was his fault. “Give me your pistol. I’m going to shoot myself outside and your problems will be solved.” “No Matti! Don’t do it,” Katrina begged. “Don’t worry. I don’t have my pistol with me tonight and I will never give it to him. Finish your meal. We have a long trip,” Havu said more gently to his neighbour. “Clean the house. Nina should not figure out that Katrina was there,” Janne told to his friend.

“Nina is back from New York. She is at home, sleeping. I’ve no clue when she will come to the island. It’s why I’m here tonight,” Janne told when they were in the car. “I understand. What will happen to him? I mean in one year? Two years? Ten years?” “Nobody knows. I think that Nina will decide it. At the moment she needs him alive. I won’t be surprise if she kills him someday,” he told. “We have to save him! We can hide him to the little flat of your house. Or I’ve some money I got after the death of my mother. I can rent a flat for him.” “Katrina, it’s really sweet. But you can’t help him. He is not like you and me.” “What do you mean?” she asked. “Do you remember when Nina told her discovery at TV?” “Yes, I remember.” “Lauri is him.” “Are you serious? He is a living dead?” she asked surprised, almost out of breathe. She thought that he was another Lauri. Not this one. Even if she thought to that eventuality. “Let’s say that he is reborn. The problem is that for many people he is a monster. He can’t be in town. He has no ID. He can’t work, he can't have friends, he... well, he is just the guinea pig of Nina. It’s hard but we have to accept it.” “It’s cruel. He is a lovely person. And she is so bad with him. Have you seen his back?” “Yes... and you don’t know all what she did to him before he woke up.” She didn’t answer. She had a lump in her throat. “Never talk about him to Vellu or anyone else. If you need to talk, just knock at my door,” Havu said when they arrived in Käpylä.

BeitragVerfasst: Fr 2. Mär 2012, 08:28 
Weltcupsieger

The next morning Veli-Matti was in the kitchen drinking his coffee and eating porridge while he was reading the newspaper and listening to the radio. “Already awake?” he said when he saw his wife entering. “I couldn’t sleep and I’ve to prepare the breakfast for the kids.” “How was your friend?” he asked still reading his newspaper. “Oh you know how old people are. She fell in the stairs and broke two ribs. She also has some stitches. But she is not complaining. Now her daughter is there to take care of her. I missed you so much that I was happy to be able to come back last night,” she told and Vellu accepted her explanation. Maybe he wasn’t paying great attention to her words. The articles seemed to be more interesting.

Nina arrived on the island a bit before nine o’clock. She asked him to help her to take two heavy bags from the boat. His teeth were tight. His ribs were hurting like hell but he didn’t complain. He hoped that she would not notice the little incident. The way from the shore to the house seemed to be longer than ever. But he was happy when he arrived in the living room. “It’s so heavy. What is inside?” he asked while he sat on the sofa. “I did some shopping for you.” “Really?” he asked surprised. He was not expecting that from her. “There are books, CDs and some clothes. Yours are too small. I realized before to leave that the clothes of Harri didn’t fit you. You are taller. In Broadway I saw a musical. It was amazing. I bought the DVD of the show. But then I thought that you would like it too and I took also one copy for you.” “Thanks but there is no TV here,” he said. “Good point. It’s why I bought a projector and a DVD player. You can project the movie on the wall. I’ve also some speakers. Isn’t it great?” she exclaimed with a smile. He thanked but was perplexed. He didn’t know that Nina. Why was she so nice with him?

“But tell me. What happened to you?” she asked when she came closer and saw the stitches on his forehead. “It’s nothing. I climbed on the roof because a thick branch was stacked there. I threw it down and I don’t what I did but I lost my balance and fell from the roof to the ground. I hit my head on a wood log. Luckily Havu was with me and he did the stitches,” he explained, trying to be as convincing as possible. She was looking carefully. Something was strange. It was done professionally. How was Janne able to do it? She took her phone and went outside. “Janne, how did you do the stitches?” she asked very perplexed. “Oh I’m sorry. I did my best but you know I’m not a doctor. I told him that he will look like the monster of Frankenstein. He laughed about it. Is it that bad?” he asked a bit nervous. “No, not at all. It’s well done. I was just a bit surprised to see how well you did it. Where did you learn it?” “At the army. I was at the hospital. But it’s long time ago and I didn’t really practise since. I’m glad that you appreciated my work,” he lied.

“I don’t know why I’m thinking of that now but do you remember the housewarming party of Havu and Maria?” Katrina asked her husband after the dinner. “It’s long time ago. I remember that it was the first time I saw again Arttu, Ville and Anssi. We also decided to recreate the rock band the Kroisos,” Vellu told. “I remember that Rane was there alone. He was single at that time,” Katrina added. “Yes, right. And he said that he was the first one to become grandfather. And he is still the only one. Havu and Maria announced their wedding. There was Tami. He was also alone. He said that his wife had another meeting.” “Harri and Nina were there. They looked like a happy couple.” “That was good old times,” Vellu said with a smile. “The Hautamäki brothers were there too. It’s strange to think that they are both dead now,” he added. “I don’t remember them...” Katrina admitted. “Well, Jussi was the stupid guy. I guess that he took a pill or had a shot of something before to come. But he was definitively the funniest. Matti was more normal. He quitted his addiction. I remember that he was tired and didn’t feel good. Apparently he was already sick. He died less than a year later.” “Are you sure that he is dead?” “Katrina... Don’t you remember that I went to his funerals in Oulu?” “I’m sorry. It was a stupid question. How was he? Was he a nice person?” “I wasn’t close to him. And honestly when I heard in Norway that he was a drug addict I did nothing to know him better. Maybe it was bad. I don’t know. Havu did a lot for him. Maybe he can talk more about him. But why are you suddenly interested in him?” her husband asked perplexed. “I don’t know. It’s just because I couldn’t remember him. Anyway. How was your day?” she asked. “Well nothing really exciting. Work, meetings, coffee, phone calls, paper work. Oh yes, the printer was out of order and we had to call a technician,” he remembered.

BeitragVerfasst: Mo 5. Mär 2012, 15:20 
Weltcupsieger

11. Changes are needed

July 27th

Janne Happonen was watching the ski jumping competition in Wisla when someone rang at the door. He was not motivated to move but the person insisted. It was probably his neighbour or Nina. “Hey! I’m so happy to see you!” a woman with a colourful dress exclaimed while she hugged him strongly. “Hi...” he answered a bit lost. He was trying to figure out who she was. When she let him free he recognized immediately and smiled back. “Nice to see you here. Please come in. I make some coffee.” On the way he took the shirts on the chairs and the floor and threw them in the guestroom. He also took the empty cans of beer on the living room table and hid them in the kitchen. In the kitchen he put all the dirty dishes to the sink. The past weeks had been tough and he didn’t clean. He hoped that she would not look to close.

“What’s up?” Havu said while he brought the cups to the living room. He sat on the sofa and she was still observing the room. “I didn’t know that you liked Africa. But I like the decoration. It looks warm,” she commented before to sit. “It was the idea of my ex-wife.” “I’m sorry. Is it really over?” “Yes... well almost. We are going to sign the documents next week. She will come back to this house in a close future and I’ll move... somewhere.” “Come here brother,” she said with a sweet voice and she hugged. She was the little sister of Havu. Her eyes were also light blue-green in almond shape underlined with eyeliner. She looked great as always. She was stewardess and she had to always look nice. Her brown hair was brushed in a bun but it didn’t look severe. “It’s okay. I’m fine. It’s my third divorce. I’m used to it. And I know that I’ll spend the end of my life alone. That’s fine to me too,” he said, a bit desperate. “When is the last time you had fun?” she asked. “I don’t know and I don’t want to go outside. To see happy people makes me sad,” he complained. “Get dressed. We are going to have a lot of fun!” she exclaimed with a wide smile on her face. She took the hand of her brother and forced him to get up from the sofa.

They went to Kamppi to the bowling. She knew that he preferred the bar but she was decided to keep him far from the beer. She knew how easily he was able to be drunk when he was sad. They wore the bowling shoes and went to the last game line on the right. Another couple was playing and four teenagers. Some music was played and few people were at the bar. “You can start,” she said. “Ladies first,” he insisted. She took a purple ball which was not too heavy but also not too light. She fixed the skittles, moved her arm back and threw the ball which rolled on the smooth floor. “Yeah! 5 down!” she exclaimed, jumping on the floor. Janne was ashamed to be with her. She was over forty and she was behaving like the kids on the third line. “Oh no! One is left,” she told after her second shot. He got up and took a green ball, heavier than the purple one. He shot but was too much on the right. The ball fell in the side track. “Bad luck. I’m sure the second shot will be better,” she said. He took a blue ball, heavier than the green one, and shot. It was better. Three skittles went down.

“Tell me. Why did you leave Australia? You don’t like the kangaroos anymore?” Janne asked during his game. “You missed some chapters, my dear. I moved out already six years ago.” “Really? I’m a bad brother. I never called you. But I’ve a good excuse. I thought that you were in Australia and you were sleeping when I was awake and the opposite,” he justified. “This is ridiculous. But I haven’t been better. I never called you too. I thought that you were too busy with your work and I didn’t want to interrupt in the middle of a mission. I also never found time to write an email.” “Sanna, tell me what happened during these six years,” he asked. “Well, I was flying a lot for Qantas. I was married but as you can guess my husband was bored to wait for me. One day he said that it was enough. It was quite hard. Then I moved to Argentina. You should really go there. It’s a beautiful country and nature is never far away. Winter is not as cold as in Finland.” “I don’t speak Argentinean,” he answered with the arms crossed. “They speak Spanish. It’s not that difficult. I’m sure that you would learn it fast. Anyway. Then I moved to New York. I had to be close to people again, to hear the city noises and to have a wide range of evening activities such as musicals, theatres, cinemas or museums. I met a guy. He was so great! We dated for almost a year. But he was also bored of my travels. He wanted me at home. But I can’t! I love to fly around the world. I guess that you understand my point of view,” she told. “Yes, but don’t you feel alone after all?” he asked. “Yes, a bit. I tried to come to Finland at least once a year to visit dad and mom. I’m sorry to have never visited you. But it won’t happen anymore. Now I’m here for my old brother!” “What? What? What? You are going too fast. Do you mean that you are now living in Finland?” he asked very surprised. “Yes, I met a wonderful Finnish guy and he convinced me to move back to Finland to be close to my family. I had enough time to enjoy travelling. I’m here since a month and I’m working now for Finnair. I just fly two to three times a week almost exclusively on European flights. It’s not bad when you are in a relationship,” she explained. “It’s why you are so happy,” he noted. “I guess. But don’t worry. It’s not desperate for you. You are a good guy. A woman is somewhere waiting for you. By the way you lost the game, you pay the restaurant,” she said and he accepted. The deal was fair.

They went to Nuevo, the Spanish restaurant near the Senate square. He ordered a beer and she took a sparkling wine flute while they were waiting for their meal. “Do you talk to a psychologist?” she asked and he looked at her suspiciously. “I don’t need. I’m not crazy.” “Janne, it’s not to be crazy or not. You need to talk to someone. I don’t want to lose you. You are so important to me. I needed years to realize it. It’s why I’m here now. I won’t let you down,” she promised. “It’s kind of you but you won’t help me. You don’t know me anymore. You have no idea of what happened these last years, what I went through,” he told. “Tell me and I’ll help you,” she insisted. “Don’t worry. I’ll find a solution by myself. I don’t want to break your happiness.” “Do you have a male friend in which you have a total trust and to whom you can freely talk?” she asked seriously. She was determined to help her brother. “My friend... what can I say about him. Well, he was like my brother. Then he left for a long journey. When he came back he was not the same anymore. He is behaving strangely and it’s in conflict with my values. Trust and honesty are very important to me. I can’t trust him anymore and he is dishonest. He did something extremely bad few weeks ago and I can’t forgive,” he explained. “Do you have other friends in which you have a total trust?” “The problem is that they don’t trust me anymore because I lied often to protect my other friend. I’ve to admit that at the moment I’m alone.” “Oh come here. You need another hug.”

After the meal Sanna drove her brother to her small flat. She took her computer and showed her pictures. He was discovering some strange animals, unknown places and how happy his sister was a bit everywhere. She went to the kitchen and prepared some tea and cookies. “What is that? Is it what I’m thinking of?” he asked from the sofa while he turned the laptop in the direction of the kitchen. “Yes, and it delicious. You must try,” she said with a wide smile. He looked again at the picture and wasn’t hungry anymore. It was a fat white worm in a plate in the middle of thinner reddish worms. “Next time I’ll garden I’ll think of you and bring a full bucket,” he replied and she laughed. “I’m happy to see that you didn’t lose totally your sense of humour.” “What did you think of? I’m maybe older but I’m still Janne Happonen.”

“I get free fly tickets. I will give you one. I suggest that you go to Italy, Spain or Portugal. You need to relax.” “Thanks but I’ve no holiday at the moment,” he simply answered. “When did you go in holiday for the last time?” she asked. “Well, I think last summer. I went to the summer cottage in Kuopio. I also visited the parents. Do you have news of them?” he asked before to finish his third cookie. She was amazed to see how fast he was. It was not very healthy and she had to change it. No, really, her brother needed her help. “Yes, I called them last week. They are doing fine. Nothing special. I will come to your place and I will help you to be happy again. First you need to sleep, to eat good food and to live in a clean house. Then you need holiday, to relax and forget everything. Then you come back and you make new friends.” “I don’t need new friends,” he complained. “You just told me that you lost most of them and the last one changed so much that he is not the same anymore. You need real friends. But first of all: do you really want to divorce?” she asked seriously. “I have no choice.” “Okay, this means no. Tomorrow I’ll talk to your wife. I will tell her to reconsider it,” she told. “Don’t do that. We are old enough to know what we are doing. I’m not a guy that is made to be married. I finally got it. It’s why it’s no big deal to me. The page is already turned.” “How can you be so fatalist? Have you thought of Ana? Don’t you think that she might like to grow up with her both parents?” Sanna asked seriously. “Maria is a good mother. I’ve no doubt about it.”

“Call Maria.” “What?” Havu asked. Why would he call his future ex-wife? “Do it.” “She won’t answer,” he replied but finally did it after she hit his shoulder. “Hi Maria, it’s me. Please don’t hang up. Someone wants to talk to you,” he announced before to give his phone to his sister. “Hello Maria, it’s Sanna, the sister of Janne. I don’t know if you remember me. We met a couple of years ago in Kuopio. Janne told me about your marriage and I’m sorry. But I’d like to talk to you to know you a bit before it’s too late. I’ve been a very bad aunt for Ana and I’d like also to apologize and to meet her if it’s possible. Are you free tomorrow afternoon?... Perfect. See you there.... Don’t worry I know how you look like... See you.” And she ended the conversation. “That was easy. Let’s hope that I succeed. Then you will have to say thank you.” “Hum... I don’t like this kind of requests. Please, don’t make the situation worse than what it is. Maria suffered enough. I want to end this nightmare,” he said quietly. They talked together the whole evening. Janne felt better. He tried to say what he had on the heart. But at eleven o’clock he had to leave. He was tired and the next morning he had to go to work.

BeitragVerfasst: Mo 5. Mär 2012, 15:39 
Weltcupsieger

Maria was waiting with Ana in Kappeli Café. The little girl was eating an ice cream. Maria just took a jasmine green for her to relax. She didn’t sleep much these last nights. Future looked dark and she was scared. A woman with two brown plaits entered in the café. She took off her white sunglasses. She took a cup of coffee and looked at the people in the café that was crowded. It was normal. This café was one of the most touristic attractions of the city. She was looking for someone. When she saw Maria she smiled and came to her. She had a light way of walking and she seemed to be very happy. “You must be Maria?” she asked to be sure to be at the right table. She preferred to ask because once she sat at the table of a guy and started to tell a secret message that one of her friends asked her to repeat to her boyfriend. It was so embarrassing when the guy replied: “But who is Outi?” “And you must be Sanna,” the black hair woman answered and Sanna came back to the present, forgetting her humiliation. “Hello Ana. I’m Sanna, your aunt,” she said before to sit. “Don’t be shy,” she told to the girl who was almost hiding behind her ice cream. “She is so sweet,” the aunt said the mother.

“What do you want?” Maria asked straight away and Sanna laughed. “I can see that you spent a lot of time with my brother. You are talking like him. You go straight to the point and don’t care about greetings or small talks. But you know Maria. I’m not an unsub and you are not a cop. I just would like to know a bit more the woman who made my brother happy for a couple of years,” Sanna told. “It’s a bit late. Let’s start from the beginning. Why didn’t you come to our wedding,” Maria asked the arms crossed. “Well... I was living in Argentina and I was very busy with my work and my life. And then I thought that it was again a joke of Janne. I thought that it will be like his previous wedding. He will stay one or two years with you and then leave. But I was wrong and I’m sorry. You are different than the others. You made him so happy. Yesterday I talked to him and he is very down. His heart is broken and he still loves you. He is sorry for what happened,” Sanna said with emotion. “Don’t you think that I’m sorry too? But I warned. Many times. He prefers his job and his friend to his family. I can’t accept it.” “Who is this horrible friend that destroyed your couple? How a random guy can force two people to separate? Can he get rid of that guy?” Sanna asked. Maria took a tissue and cleaned the face of Ana. “It’s not that simple. I thought it was and it made me very angry. But then I understood. Janne can’t get rid of his friend.” “But why?” Sanna asked. She wanted to understand. “It’s a long story and I’m not sure that he would like that you know everything. Let’s say that if he ends his friendship his friend will die. Havu could never live with that thought. He will never forgive himself. You know how honour, trust and friendship are important to him. We lived some months like if nothing happened. But the secrets were too heavy. We had to lie to our neighbours, our friends, our family. Sanna, it’s too heavy. It’s why we decided to divorce. He said that I’ll be free,” Maria told with a tear in the eyes. Sanna understood immediately the cruelty of the situation. “Give me the address and the name of that friend. I’ll talk to him and you won’t divorce,” she said determined. “You can’t. And Havu will never let you meet him. Stay out of this. Too many people suffered because of that friend.” Sanna was lost. How could it happen? Was it so difficult to say: you are not my friend anymore? “You should stay with Janne and show to that friend that you are not scared. Janne is strong. He is a policeman and he will do everything to protect you.” “Stay out of this or something will happen to you. This is a kind of malediction. If you get it, your life turns to a nightmare that can end with death.” “But what are you talking about?” Sanna asked perplexed and scared. “Take care of Havu. He needs someone like you by his side at the moment. I hope that he will be happy again. I’ve to go home now. It was nice to meet you. And please, never talk about this friend,” Maria begged. “What’s his name? Because friend is a bit to general.” “Lauri,” Maria replied before to leave the café.

Some days later Janne and Maria Happonen were in the office of a notary public. Maria had tears in her eyes and Janne took the tear tissue and gave it to her. But when she read the name that was embroidered she refused and took a tissue in her bag. “He can go to Hell,” she murmured but Havu didn’t answer. “Okay, so now you have to sign here at the end of the document,” the scrivener told. Janne took the pen he got for his birthday some years ago from his pocket and signed. Then he gave it to Maria who signed. She was wearing only black clothes like for funerals. In a way, it was funerals. “Now you are officially divorced. Congratulations,” the old man said with a wide smile on his face. The couple got up and left the room without a word. When the door was closed they hugged. Maria cried and Havu comforted. “It’s the end of the nightmare. You are free now. But I’ll be always here for you. You can call me whenever you want,” he murmured to her ear while she still hugged him firmly.

In another building another couple was also signing documents. “Now you are wife and husband. You can kiss the bride,” the employee of the registry office said and the new happy couple did it. “Ms Tiina Lappi. It sounds nice.” “I love it,” she answered with a wide smile. The couple decided to have a discreet ceremony for their second wedding only with Suvi and their witnesses. Arttu chose his colleague Antero and Tiina her best friend.

BeitragVerfasst: Mo 5. Mär 2012, 15:49 
Weltcupsieger

12. Heavy secret

August 6th

Katrina Lindström was biting her finger nails. She promised to keep a heavy secret but she felt the need to share it with someone. She loved to meet her friends and talk about gossips. She knew that it was better to keep her secret but she was almost shaking. She took her phone and was ready to call her friend. A voice in her head was telling to don’t do it. She promised. Havu and Matti would be in big trouble if she talked. But on the other hand she wanted to see the face of her friends when she would announce what she knew. An hour later she was still with her phone in her hand. Then she called her friend. “Hi Maria! I just baked pullas. Are you in for a cup of tea?”

“Katrina, what’s wrong. I can feel that you want to tell me something. You didn’t just invite me for the bakeries. You know that you can tell me everything,” her friend told after the usual housewives conversations. “I live with a secret since weeks and I thrill to tell it to someone.” “If it’s a secret, keep it for you. Why would you like to reveal it?” the lady with the black hair asked. “Can I trust you? Can you keep a secret?” the mother of the six kids asked and Maria answered positively. “I know the Lauri of Nina,” she confessed and Maria was surprised. “How do you know him? Nina introduced him to you?” “No, it’s Havu.” “Havu?” Maria was even more surprised. Why her ex-husband would take the risk to present Matti to Katrina. Everybody knew that she was unable to keep a secret. “Yes, once he called me. He needed my help because Lauri was injured. He is such a nice person! I’m sure that Nina wants to keep him for herself.” Maria crossed her legs. “Does Nina know what you know?” “Of course not. I’m not stupid. Once you should come with me and meet him. You will love him. He is so great.” “Honestly I prefer to stay out of this story. We don’t know what Nina is able to. Remember what she did to Harri,” Maria told. She hoped that her friend would get it. She wanted to tell more but she preferred to play safe and to behave like if she ignored who Lauri was. “You know where he lives?” “Yes, on an island. It’s not easy to go there. But now I know the way.” “Did you tell him that you were married?” “Of course Maria! I just went there a couple of times to keep company. He is so lonely. You should meet him. He is good looking. You would be a lovely couple,” she said with a smile. “Do I need to remember you that he is... back from the other side? I feel quite uncomfortable with that thought,” Maria replied with a grimace.

Maria crossed the road and knocked at the door. “Janne, we have to talk,” she said immediately. “Good afternoon. Nice to see. I’m doing fine. Thanks for asking. I guess that you want a cup of coffee?” her ex-husband answered calmly. “I’m sorry. Where are my good manners? I’m just back from Katrina’s and I didn’t like what she told me,” Maria confessed when she was in the house. “Tell me everything,” he said while they sat on the sofa. “She knows for Matti.” “I know. I thought that she was able to keep a secret,” he said in a low voice, disappointed and Maria laughed. “What did you expect? You know how she is. You know that she is curious and unable to keep a secret. Havu, talk to her and tell her the truth about Matti. She thinks that he is a nice and innocent guy. He destroyed our family. Don’t let him destroy her family. She has six kids,” she reminded. “I’ll talk to her. Thanks for telling me.”

“How do you like Matti?” Janne asked his neighbour. “He is charming, open, funny, entertaining,...” “All the adjectives that I hate.” “Why Havu?” Katrina asked, surprised. “For me it sounds like if you love him.” “I like him. He is a friend. Nothing else,” she specified. “I can tell you that he wants something from you. He is a manipulator. Don’t jump in the trap. I did it and look at what happened to me. I lost my family. Katrina, think of your kids. It’s not your fault if he is on that island. He chose it. Now he has to assume.” “Do you mean that he is... acting?” she asked with tears in her eyes. She was so disappointed. “Probably. You were lucky to have told the secrets to Maria that knew already about it. You can be sure that she won’t repeat it to Tiia or Nina. Please don’t do it again. If you want to talk, call me. I’m now the only one to live with that secret. Let Maria away from it. She suffered enough.” “I’m sorry. It won’t happen again,” she promised, feeling guilty.

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 60 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2, 3  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde