Forum für Finnen-Fans

Tummelplatz für alle Freunde des finnischen Skispringens
Aktuelle Zeit: Fr 29. Mär 2024, 00:58

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 27 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: Di 1. Feb 2011, 17:02 
Weltcupsieger

Finally I finished to write my new story. It's the second chapter of the saga "Finnish stories". You can read this story without have read the first chapter but you will understand better the details if you read first "Finnish stories: Confessions".

Main characters: Janne Happonen, Matti Hautamäki & Janne Ahonen
Secondary characters: Harri Olli, Veli-Matti Lindström, Tami Kiuru, Jussi Hautamäki & Kalle Keituri

Time of the action: 2020

I will start soon the writing of the third chapter.

Like ever, it's a fiction and everything comes from my strange imagination.

I wish you a pleasant reading time in my fantasy world and I'm looking for your comments in the feedback thread.

Betreff des Beitrags:
Verfasst: Di 1. Feb 2011, 17:02 

BeitragVerfasst: Di 1. Feb 2011, 17:03 
Weltcupsieger

1. This is my island, respect my rules

It was a beautiful Saturday morning. The sun was shining and there was no cloud in the sky. The lake was calm. A perfect day for boating. The leaves of the tree were green and immobile. This lovely landscape was somewhere between Helsinki and Turku in Finland. Harri Olli was sat in his car, the door opened and looking at his phone. He had no SMS, no email and no missed call. He was wearing sunglasses, a dark blue and white lined t-shirt, a beige short and sandals. He checked the time once more. His guests were late. Were they lost? If yes, why didn’t they call? He exited and walked a bit on the way. He stopped and listened. There was no engine noise. Just the sound of crickets. He checked again his phone. Still nothing. Should he call? He walked some steps back and looked at the lake that was still calm. He chose a stone that was flat and threw it. It rebounded five times before to disappear in the water.

After more than half an hour a dark blue Opel Corsa arrived in a cloud of dust. “Hi Harri. Sorry to be late but it was not easy to find this place. I don’t have a GPS in my car,” explained Janne Happonen who was happy to be arrived. He left Helsinki quite early but he took wrong ways several times. He was wearing a cap, a red t-shirt and a black short. Janne didn’t come alone. On the passenger seat there was Janne Ahonen who lighted a cigarette as soon as he was outside. The both Janne had a little bag with some extra clothes for the weekend.

In less than twenty minutes the other guests arrived. They were talking about their trip to come there. Veli-Matti Lindström told that he saw three elks crossing the road at less than hundred meters from his car. “And what about your brother, Matti? Is he coming?” asked Harri who noticed the absence of a guest. “No, he couldn’t make it. One of his colleagues is in holiday and the other one is sick. He has to work the whole weekend. He is sorry,” Matti Hautamäki explained. Harri accepted it but was guessing that Jussi didn’t want to meet Harri. The reason was that a month ago during the first international ski jumpers meeting in Norway Jussi threatened to kill Harri if he revealed his secret. Harri thought that it was not that bad that the oldest Hautamäki didn’t come.

During that meeting Harri promised to invite his former ski jumping teammates on his island. “So, now let’s go to my island. Here is my boat. We’ll navigate during approximately twenty three minutes. Well, it’s small and I hope that we are not too heavy. If we have a problem we can swim,” he added with a smile. “I suggest that we divide the group in two,” Matti proposed. He came with his guitar and he didn’t want that his instrument ended in the water. The others approved the idea.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 1. Feb 2011, 17:07 
Weltcupsieger

When they were all on the island Harri presented his wooden mökki. “When I bought it seven years ago it was in very bad shape. Every summer I repair a new part. This is the first summer that everything is fine,” he explained, proud of his work. The house was a typical red and white Finnish summer cottage with two floors, a terrace, a balcony, a kitchen, a living room, a bathroom and four little bed rooms upstairs. The sauna was in another little wooden house close from the lake.

The guests entered in the house. It was a very charming and warm place all in wood and very traditional. Everything was clean and tidy. There was no dust and each object was at its own place. Janne Happonen approached to the wall and looked at the pictures in the frames. “Is it you?” he asked while he show a picture of a man in winter clothes stood up at the summit of a mountain. “Yes, it’s me at the top of the Everest,” Harri simply explained. “Wow! That’s great. And here?” Havu asked while he showed another picture. “Here I’m at the top of the Mont Blanc. My first summit over 4000m. It was three years ago.” Havu was impressed. He never thought that Harri was an alpinist. On another picture he was also on a mountain with another person taller than him. “Who’s that guy?” “It’s my wife.” Havu was embarrassed. He noticed that Harri didn’t appreciate that he confused his wife with a man. But when he looked more carefully at the picture, Janne confirmed for himself that it was not easy to identify the gender of that person with hat, goggles, scarf covering the mouth and big winter jacket.

“We are seven for eight beds. Who want the individual room?” Harri asked when they were are the top floor. “I suggest Matti. He snores,” Janne Happonen answered. He remembered that in Norway he couldn’t sleep because of Matti. “Oh please! I was drunk. When I’m not drunk I don’t snore. But I can have the individual room. I force nobody to be with me,” Matti replied. “I can sleep with you with you don’t want to be alone,” Veli-Matti suggested. Matti smiled and explained that he was used to be alone. Finally after a long talk it was decided that Matti was in the individual room, Janne Ahonen and Tami Kiuru together, Veli-Matti Lindström with Kalle Keituri and Harri and Janne Happonen sharing the last room.

Outside Harri was grilling some meat and vegetables on the barbecue while his guests were drinking some fresh beers. “I’m already hungry,” said Tami Kiuru who was happy to spend the weekend with friends after a busy and stressful week. On Monday the Internet website of the bank crashed, on Wednesday the network was down and on Friday the antivirus blocked the mail server. Luckily all the problems were solved. Matti took his guitar, sat on a rock and played some notes. Harri was looking at him while he was turning the sausages. Matti was wearing a long dark blue shirt and a black short. From there Harri had the impression that his former teammate was sad. Maybe it had a link with the secret that he shared with his brother.

“It’s ready. Everybody take a seat. Here is the salad that Veli-Matti made, here is my potato salad, some chips, mustard, ketchup, meat and well… you can take whatever you want,” Harri concluded while he sat. “Your salad is delicious,” Kalle congratulated Vellu who was happy. “It’s nice to see you back to Finland,” added Janne Happonen. “Well, I’m just here one week in holiday. I fly back on Tuesday. I live in Germany and I don’t think that I’ll come there in a close future,” Kalle explained. “In Norway we all talked about our lives. Can you tell us something about yours?” Vellu asked. “Well, nothing special. I’m customizing cars for customers. It’s very creative and interesting. I’m specialized in the audio systems. With my friends we have a team and we are doing competitions. Otherwise I’m still married to Yvonne and we have a daughter, Karina. She will turn 5 next month,” Kalle resumed.

BeitragVerfasst: Mi 2. Feb 2011, 15:04 
Weltcupsieger

“I’m just curious but… are you living together?” Harri asked to both Janne. He did it because in Norway Happonen invited Ahonen to live with him and to sleep on the couch. “Yes, since two weeks now. We are like two students. It’s funny,” said Ahonen. “Right. We are fighting to know who will clean the toilet, bring the trash bag outside, wash the dishes or cook,” laughed Happonen. Harri laughed too and added that it was almost the same with his wife. The only difference was that they were paying a young girl to clean the house. He got up, opened a bottle of wine and shared it with his guests. He explained that it was his way to express how happy he was to have guests on his island.

“Janne, just before the end of the last evening in Norway you got a phone call from your son saying that he wanted to get married. How is it going on if I may ask,” said Veli-Matti curious. “Well, Mico wants that his parents pay the half of the wedding. The problem is that I have no money and Tiia doesn’t want to pay for us. She accuses me of being a bad father because I don’t want to pay the wedding of my son. But it’s not true. I really don’t have money. So, now the problem is solved,” Ahonen explained. “Postponed you mean,” added Vellu. “I’m not worried. In a couple of months he’ll be single again,” Janne answered before to finish his glass of wine. “In Norway you didn’t drink a drop of alcohol because you said that you were under a treatment against your alcoholism and now you are drinking some wine. I’m a bit surprised,” replied Matti. “It’s finished. I can drink alcohol but reasonably. It’s why this glass was the last one for today,” he explained while he poured some Cola in his glass.

After the meal Matti sat on a stone near the lake and played with his guitar. It was not easy to find the right note because he didn’t play for years. He also didn’t know what he wanted to play. “I’d like to play like you,” said Janne Happonen who sat in front of Matti. “I don’t need to teach you to play badly. You’ll find yourself,” added Matti still looking at his instrument. “You are not too hot with your shirt?” Havu who was hot in t-shirt asked. “A bit. But last week I got bad sunburn and I prefer to protect my skin.” Matti started to play a song but stopped after less than thirty seconds. He put the guitar on the ground and looked at the lake. “What’s wrong?” Havu said. He noticed that Matti probably lost some weight compared to the last time he saw him in Norway. He didn’t know if he finally found a way to lose his extra kilos like he wished or if it was because he was unhappy. Matti breathed deeply and stayed silent. “Why do you want to know everything?” He asked after a while. “I just want to help a friend that seems to have a problem,” Janne replied. “You can’t help me. It’s again a story with a girl. I need a beer,” he said before to get up. “Alcohol will not help you,” Havu added but Matti was already gone.

Havu took the guitar and tried to play. He had absolutely no clue on how it worked. But it was quite funny. He pressed a string with his left index and touched the others with his right hand. The result was not that bad. Veli-Matti Lindström came and sat in front of him. “You should take a course. It’s not too difficult to learn to play the guitar,” Vellu said. “I know but I’m too busy and too lazy. And it won’t get better if Rane doesn’t change,” Havu complained. “What do you mean?” Vellu asked while he frowned. “Well he is like in holiday. He is doing nothing. The flat is a big mess. We live in less than 40m2. When I come back from work the dinner is not done, the shopping either and so on. I like him but sometimes I just would like that he participates to the cooking and cleaning. I know that he had some difficult time before but I don’t think that it’s a good reason to be that lazy.” “Why don’t you tell him? Maybe he doesn’t realize that it’s a problem for you. If I don’t say to my kids to bring back their toys from the living room to their bedroom they would stay for weeks,” Vellu gave as example. “He is 43! Not 5 years old. He should know it. And if I kick him out it will be my fault if he becomes again an alcoholic,” replied Havu who crossed his arms.

BeitragVerfasst: Mi 2. Feb 2011, 15:06 
Weltcupsieger

“Take it easy, please!” said Harri to Matti who was finishing his seventh can of beer. “Don’t worry. I’m fine. I’m not drunk. I can pay the beers if I exaggerated.” “Don’t be stupid. But please, stop it. It’s only 4pm and you are almost drunk. Why are you drinking so much?” Harri asked. “To forget the bitch that was my girlfriend until yesterday evening,” Matti explained. “Well… maybe she was not the right one for you. It can be long until you find the right person. For example I…” “Shut up. You’re younger than me and you’re married. You don’t know what it means to have the heart broken almost every month. And they are not faithful. They always have an affair with other guys when we don’t take care enough of them.” Harri didn’t know what to do. He was not very good to give advises and Matti looked drunk. If they continued that conversation maybe Matti would be out of control. “Not all the girls are like this. For example I trust my wife. This weekend she is in Stockholm with colleagues for a conference and I know that nothing will happen. And I’m not jealous if she has dinner with other men. I trust her and she trust me. The question Matti is: are you able to trust your girlfriends?” Matti stayed silent. He was playing with his fingers and looked at them. “This is your problem. You don’t trust them because you don’t trust yourself. Come on! Get up! Let’s go to the others,” Harri ordered but Matti was decided to stay where he was and he opened a new beer.

Kalle was looking around and was impressed. The grass was cut, there were no dead branches or leaves on the ground, the wood logs were aligned against the wall of the sauna, everything looked clean. “You really did a great job. This island looks perfect. How many hours per week do you spend here?” asked Kalle to the owner of that place. “Only my weekends from May to September. And at the end of July I’ve two weeks of holiday and I’ll probably spend them here. There is not much to do and I like when everything looks perfect. My wife is also like this. Have you seen the garden and the flowers?” Kalle acquiesced. “This island is our baby.” When he pronounced that last word, Harri felt some pain. It reminded him that he would probably never have one. He’d love to but it was almost impossible.

Veli-Matti took the ax and looked at the logs. “Hey guys, we can do a little competition. The aim is to throw the ax to this log. What do you think?” The others were agreeing but not Harri. He was afraid that someone got injured or that the ax damaged the roof of the sauna. “Come on Harri. We are not that bad to throw it on the roof!” commented Tami Kiuru. “Maybe not you… well okay. Let’s do it,” he finally accepted. On the ground he put a small log to mark the distance from which they had to throw the ax. It was not more than ten meters. Janne Ahonen asked for some extra meters but Harri refused.

Harri was first. He had to approve the distance and if the game was not dangerous. He threw the ax that ended quite close to the target in another log. “Wow Harri! You are so good!” exclaimed Veli-Matti. “I was lucky. Who’s next?” he asked. Kalle took the ax and threw it a bit too high but not on the roof. Vellu totally missed the target. The ax went to the grass at thirty centimeters from the lowest logs. All the participants were laughing including Vellu that couldn’t believe that he was so bad. Janne Ahonen was too much on the right, Tami too low but Janne Happonen reached the target. “I’m the king! Wow!” he exclaimed the arms in the direction of the sky. The others applauded. Suddenly Matti joined them. “It’s my turn.” “No, sorry you can’t participate. You’re drunk,” Harri said. But Matti was not happy about it and replied that he was not drunk. Kalle took the ax and hid it behind his back. “I want to play also! What do you all have against me?” “Matti, calm down and sit. We are not against you. We just don’t want that you injure yourself or someone else,” explained Vellu.

BeitragVerfasst: Do 3. Feb 2011, 12:12 
Weltcupsieger

After the dinner Harri said that the sauna was ready. “I just have to warn you about the lake. It’s a deep water lake. Near the border it’s more than two meters deep. So take it easy after the sauna and this evening if you’re drunk.” They all smiled or laughed and answered that they could swim. The first group was composed by Kalle, Vellu, Tami and Rane. Vellu was thinking that he was the only one of the group to have extra kilos. He tried different kinds of diets without success. He thought that it was because he was working under stress and with food. He was the boss of his own company that was preparing and delivering healthy meals to companies. The sauna was quite dark. The eyes had to get used to it. The temperature was quite high already. Over 90 degrees. The four men were looking at the heating in a total silence.

Outside Harri was bringing the dishes to the house while Happonen was walking on the island which was not that big. But there was everything: some stones to climb a bit, trees and berries. Some swans were relaxing in the middle of the lake. While he looked at the islands around, he noticed that he didn’t see any other houses or boats. That island was really isolated. He thought that it was good to rest but not for depressive people. When he was walking in the direction of the house he found a teddy bear at fifteen meters on his left. Havu was curious. Why a teddy bear there? He quitted the way and came closer. He kneeled and observed. It was a little fifteen centimeters high bear with a winter red hat and a scarf. It was leant to a stone. He moved it and saw that a name was written: Annikki. Some meters further he saw another teddy bear, again leant to a stone. When he moved it he read another name: Taimi. Janne got up. He felt embarrassed. Especially when he noticed that on the right there was another bear. It was time to leave.

Matti was back on his stone with his guitar. Like previously, he didn’t know what to play. Harri walked to him and started to play Oh Susannah with a harmonica. And Matti followed him with some difficulties. When Havu was back from his walk, he joined them. “You have to sing,” Matti said but Janne answered that he was not talented and was unable to sing. “Come on! Nobody will judge you,” Matti insisted. Finally Havu applauded in rhythm and Matti sang… totally wrong.

Well I come from Alabama with my banjo on my knee
And I'm bound for Louisiana, my own true love for to see
It did rain all night the day I left
The weather was bone dry
The sun was so hot I froze myself
Suzanne, don't you go on and cry
I said, Oh, Suzannah
Now, don't you cry for me
As I come from Alabama with this banjo on my knee
Well I had myself a dream the other night
When everything was still
I dreamed that I saw my girl Suzanne
She was coming around the hill
Now, the buckwheat cake was in her mouth
A tear was in her eye
I said, that I come from Dixie land
Suzanne, don't you break down and cry
I said, Oh, Suzannah
Now, don't you cry for me
'Cause I come from Alabama with my banjo on my knee

“Oh my God…” said Kalle when he exited the sauna and looked in the direction of the little concert. “In a way it’s nice that they are doing something together. But something is sure: they will never be successful musicians. And Matti… he sings so wrong… let’s go to the lake,” Vellu concluded. Janne was the first one to go to the lake. “Oh fuck! It’s so cold!” he exclaimed. The others laughed but then they were careful and entered slowly to the water which was really cold. It was not a joke.

Kalle and Vellu went quickly back to the warm sauna while Tami and Janne were still swimming. “May I ask you a question Tami?” “Sure.” “What are these bruises on your ribs?” Janne asked. “Nothing bad. I fell in the stairs last Wednesday.” “Okay. And in your back?” “I helped a friend to move. I carried some heavy stuff,” Tami explained. Janne didn’t know if he had to believe him or not.

BeitragVerfasst: Do 3. Feb 2011, 12:24 
Weltcupsieger

“Harri, can I have another beer? I’ve a terrible headache,” Matti asked once they finished their little concert. “No, if you want to drink something I’ve some water and Cola. No more alcohol for you. Now let’s go to the sauna,” Harri ordered.

In the little changing room Matti sat on the bench. He didn’t feel well and had no real envy to have a sauna. “Do you need help to get undressed?” asked Harri who was already in underwear. Matti took off his shoes and short slowly. “Do you think it’s a good idea that he’ll have a sauna?” murmured Havu to Harri. “He’ll feel better after. I always take a sauna when I’m drunk.” When everybody was ready they entered in the hotness and sat on the wooden bench. Harri threw some water and a steam cloud touched their skin. Havu thrilled. He liked so much that feeling. Matti was not at ease. His legs and his arms were crossed. He had headache and he had the impression that it was difficult to breathe. The drops of sweat where running on his skin. Usually he liked it but not that day. Not with these two guys and not after have drunken so much beer.

Matti sat on the bench in the changing room while Harri and Janne went to refresh their hot skins to the lake. “This sauna is really a great idea. It’s so relaxing. I’ve had quite a busy week and I didn’t sleep much. Now I feel much better,” Janne confessed to Harri. “That’s good. I hope that it the same for the others as well. I don’t know why but I’ve the impression that they are not pleased to be there. Have I done anything wrong?” Janne thought a bit but didn’t find any reason and for him everything was fine and they were having fun. Except maybe Matti.

“What should we do with Matti? I mean, it’s now clear that he needs help. Have you seen his arms? He uses drugs since a long time in my opinion,” Harri said. “I’d like to help him but I don’t know if he wants. First he should stay single for a while and try to understand why all his previous girlfriends broke up. The problem certainly comes from him. I did the same for me after my second divorce. I found out that I was too selfish and spent too much time and energy at work. I’m not romantic enough,” Janne Happonen explained. Harri laughed. “I don’t think so. Tell me who can be romantic longer than a year? For example I don’t say I love you everyday to my wife, go with her every week to restaurant and so on. But once in a while yes. And the most important, don’t forget to congratulate when she cooks or do something special for me,” Harri explained and Havu laughed.

When there were back to the changing room they saw that Matti was sleeping on the bench. Harri smiled and said that he would go back to the sauna. Havu touched the hair of Matti who didn’t react. “Matti, wake up,” he murmured. He touched again his face, his shoulder and his ribs. Suddenly Havu was in a panic. “Matti! Matti! Please open your eyes!” He knew that sauna could be dangerous for people with heart problem or other decease. Maybe the mix of alcohol, drug and hot temperature was not good too. Havu got up, filled in his water bottle and threw some water in the face of his former teammate. Matti made a growl, moved and opened his eyes. Janne sat next to him, the heart beating fast. “Are you okay?” Havu asked, still in a panic. “I don’t know… I’m a bit confused…” Matti said while he sat slowly. His face was very pale and he didn’t look good. “I feel sick…” Janne helped him to get up and to go to the toilet on time. After some minutes he asked if everything was okay. He just heard a small voice saying yes.

BeitragVerfasst: Fr 4. Feb 2011, 06:12 
Weltcupsieger

After the sauna Matti went directly to bed. “Poor guy. I hate to see him like this,” Happonen said with pity. “It’s his problem. He has exaggerated. That’s life.” “You’re cruel Harri. Don’t you have any compassion? Next time you’ll be drunk I’ll react like you. Sometimes I wonder if you have a heart.” Harri didn’t appreciate the critics and preferred to don’t answer. It was just a waste of time.

The sun was set but the sky was not that dark. It was the midnight sun in Finland. In Lapland the sun was probably still visible. This wonderful scenery had a huge default: the mosquitoes. Thousands of them attacked the friends. The spray and the candles seemed to don’t be very effective. At two o’clock in the morning they decided to go to bed. “If you don’t mind I’d like to sleep with Matti,” asked Happonen and Harri accepted.

From his bed Janne Happonen was looking at Matti. His face was relaxed and he seemed to sleep deeply. He was 39 years old but with the soft light coming from the window he looked like a young boy. His breathing was regular and he was not moving. And the good news for Havu was that he was not snoring like in Norway. “Good night, Matti,” murmured Havu who went under the cover.

Suddenly Harri was thirsty. He tried to fall asleep again but it was impossible. He got out of his bed and went downstairs in the kitchen. There was absolutely no noise. He took a glass from the cupboard and noticed that the main door was a bit open. Did he forget to close it? He wasn’t sure. He poured some water in the glass and drank before to go back upstairs. Something was strange. He looked around and noticed that the door of the room of Havu and Matti was not closed. He walked to and checked inside. A bed was empty.

He took a light jacket and went outside. Some insects were already flying. What time was it? He looked at his watch and saw that it was a quarter past four. He verified that his boat was correctly moored. Then he followed the path that was going around the little island. Something was moving behind a bush. He walked one step and suddenly a bird exited, frightened. He jumped and continued the walking to the other side of the island. There he sat and observed for a little while.

“What are you doing?” he said angry when he approached. Matti was surprised and jumped. In his right hand he had an empty syringe that he tried to hide but it was too late. “I can explain.” “No, there is nothing to explain. I don’t want that in my property. Get out! Run away or swim! I don’t want you here anymore,” Harri ordered. Matti was sorry and tried to explain without success. “You’re a shame for all of us. And you have no respect for me. Now I’ll tell everything to the others and to the police. And I’ll also denounce your brother. Now it’s enough,” Harri threatened. “No, you can’t do that. We are friends. We promised to help each other. We are a big family. I didn’t want to do it here but I needed. I couldn’t control myself. Do you understand?” Harri was very pissed off. How a friend, if he was really a friend, could dare to use some drugs on his island. He thought that Matti was cleverer and understood that his addiction was not welcome and at that moment he tried to apologize like a seven years old kid.

“Go away!” Harri lost his nerves and pushed Matti who ended in the lake. Cold water would refresh his mind, thought Harri who was walking back to the house. “Help! Help! Harri!!! Please! Don’t go! Help!” Matti was moving how he could to stay at the surface. But that water was so cold that he was unable to swim. He was freezing. In the water everything was dark. At the surface there was nothing he could catch and Harri was gone. “Harri!” He swallowed some water and was close to suffocate. He couldn’t talk anymore. He was just a fraction of second at the surface. He was in a total panic. He didn’t want to die in that lake. But it was maybe the destiny. His life would end there, abandoned by a person that he thought that was his friend. What would think his mother? He promised to visit her at the end of August for the first time since Christmas. He remembered that the family meeting was a disaster and that everybody was criticizing everybody. What was the last sentence he said before to leave? It was go to Hell… And now it was him that was going to Hell.

BeitragVerfasst: Fr 4. Feb 2011, 22:24 
Weltcupsieger

What was that voice? It seemed to come from far away but sounded familiar. Suddenly he opened his eyes, raised his chest, spitted out and coughed. His heart was beating wildly. “Oh Matti, you’re alive!” exclaimed Janne Ahonen. “Are you okay?” Matti was looking around like if he was lost. “What happened?” he asked. “You almost drown. Luckily I couldn’t sleep and I wanted to smoke. I heard some strange noise and I jumped to the water,” Janne explained. Matti was under shock. He was shaking and was close to cry. Janne hugged him and comforted. He looked at the dark water and thought that if Janne was not there he would be floating like dead wood. “Thank you. You’re an angel,” he murmured while he erased a tear on his cheek.

Matti also remembered the last image of Harri, walking back to the house. “I’m gonna kill him!” he said while he got up. “Calm down. Don’t do something stupid. You will regret. Let’s go to the house and have a warm tea,” Janne proposed. But Matti was still angry. He would never forgive. Harri tried to murder him.

In the morning Harri prepared some breakfast but he looked angry. He almost threw the plates on the table. The others noticed it but stayed silent. Matti and Janne were still sat in the kitchen with their cups of tea which were empty. During the breakfast Veli-Matti told some jokes but half of the audience was not laughing. He didn’t understand what was wrong. Maybe his jokes were not that funny. If it was the case why were the others laughing? “Well… I’m sorry to tell it like this but the weekend is over. After breakfast pack your belonging and we’ll go back to the cars,” announced Harri mechanically. “But it’s only eight o’clock,” added Kalle that didn’t understand the reaction of Harri. “I forgot that I’m invited this evening. I’m sorry.” Matti didn’t believe a word. “You don’t need to punish everybody. You can bring me to my car and I leave. It’s no big deal,” he said. Harri looked even angrier after that sentence. “No I said that everybody goes home! That’s it. No more discussion about that point.” Janne Happonen was very surprised to see how Harri was quickly losing his nerves. He imagined him easily throwing all the dishes on the floor and destroying all the furniture. He hoped to be wrong.

Once they were near their cars, Harri went back to his island alone. “I can’t believe it. He throws us like an old shoe,” exclaimed Kalle who was still under shock. “It’s Harri. What did you expect?” asked Janne Ahonen. “For those who want you can come to my place to have a drink,” proposed Veli-Matti. “Thanks but I’ll drive to Lahti. My wife and my parents are waiting for me. Thanks for inviting,” Kalle said. “We have to clean the flat. Sorry. But another day, yes,” answered Janne Happonen. Tami Kiuru wanted to go home too and Matti declined the invitation. He remembered that Vellu had four kids and they would be too noisy. He preferred to go home and to sleep.

BeitragVerfasst: Sa 5. Feb 2011, 12:22 
Weltcupsieger

2. The life in community

Two weeks later

Janne Happonen was in good mood. His day went well. He closed his locker at work and drove his Corsa home. He was living in a building at the third floor in Pasila. When he opened the first door of the flat he lost his smile. The mail was waiting between the two doors. It meant that his flat mate didn’t go shopping except if he went before 10am, the moment when the postman delivered the mail. And his smile was not back when he opened the second door and looked at the flat. In the morning he asked his roommate Janne Ahonen to transform his bed into a sofa. The first week of cohabitation went well. In the day the sofa was a sofa and in the evening he opened it to bed. But then Rane said that it was a waste of time and it was more convenient to have the sofa in bed the whole day. The problem was that they were two living in less than 40m2. There were clothes a bit everywhere and it was harder and harder to know if they were clean or not. The dishes were still waiting to be washed and the shopping list was still on the table. “Tell me that you did something today,” said Havu exhausted. The other Janne was laid in his bed watching TV. “Yes, I warmed a pizza for lunch.” He couldn’t believe it. Was it still useful to explain the rules of living together in a so small space?

“Tell me what is this?” Havu asked while he showed a yellow object to his roommate who was still in his bed. “Cleaning glove.” “Good. And that?” “Well… a cleaning product for…” “For what?” Happonen insisted. “Toilet…” “Very good. And that?” “A toilet brush.” Ahonen seemed to be embarrassed. But Havu tried to hide a smile. He knew that his roommate understood what he meant. “So now, go to the bathroom. And I wash the dishes.” “It’s not fair! I want to wash the dishes,” Ahonen protested. “It’s too late. You had the whole day to wash them. And I pay the rent, I choose who clean what. Now stop talking and go to the bathroom,” Havu explained without joking.

Five minutes later Havu went to the bathroom to check the work of his roommate. “Well… here it’s still not good and I think that you don’t scrub strong enough.” The other Janne was not very happy about it. “Stop making fun of the situation. But you are the boss…” he added while he continued. Havu went back to the living room and took his camera. He walked silently and took a picture while he laughed. “What are you doing? Give me that camera!” Ahonen said while he got up. Havu went to the kitchen and hid the camera behind his back. “Go back to work,” he said. “Delete that picture!” Havu was still laughing. “Come on. It’s so funny to see you cleaning the toilet. And I promise I won’t show it to others. Maybe I’ll just post it on your Facebook wall.” “Havu, if you do it I will… I will… I don’t know but you will regret it,” Ahonen argued. “Don’t worry. I keep that picture as souvenir for me. You can go back to work. Oh and when you’ll finish you can clean the shower and the floor. Thank you,” Happonen said. “Yes, boss.”

The next morning at six, Janne Happonen woke up is roommate who protested. “What again? I’m sleeping,” said Ahonen who was almost blind with the light. “Do you know what’s that?” Havu asked. “Yeah, socks. I’m not stupid,” Rane said while he yawned. “I’ve never said that. It’s my last clean pair,” Havu said with a smile. “Okay. I got it. I’ll do the laundry.”

Havu went to the bathroom to take his morning shower. The other Janne tried to fell asleep again but it was not possible. The sun was already quite bright and his roommate was singing too loudly. He concluded that it was time to get up. In the kitchen that was pretty small he turned on the coffee machine, opened the window and lighted a cigarette. He saw that outside the birds were already active and that it was a beautiful day. In the street people were walking fast to catch the tram which was coming.

“Throw that cigarette away and close the window!” ordered Havu who was cold with his dark wet hair. He was also angry because he repeated many times that it was forbidden to smoke in the flat even if the window was opened. It was written in the rent contract and he didn’t want to be forced to move. His roommate finished quickly his smoke and closed the window. “I’ve done some coffee.” “Thanks,” answered Havu who sat while Rane was preparing more breakfast: bread, butter, ham and cheese.

“Can I ask you a question?” Ahonen said and Havu accepted. “Are you dating someone?” Havu laughed. “Why do you say that?” “I don’t know. You smile more, you sing under the shower even if it sounds more like torture, you are coming back late from work, sometimes you go out in the evening and you write much more SMS than a week ago,” Rane listed. Havu bit in the bread and drank some dark coffee. “I can’t have secrets. You discover everything in little time. You’re amazing.” “What’s her name?” “Henna. No more questions. It’s my private life,” Havu replied.

“I’ve to find a job.” “Good idea. What kind of job?” asked Janne Happonen. “I was thinking of being a bus driver. I mean I love to drive and it can be nice to meet new people.” “I think that you are not realizing that you just got out of alcoholism and bosses of these companies look at that carefully. In my opinion you have no chance. You said that your son was irresponsible and utopist with his idea to get married at 19 years old but now I understand better why he is like this. And you don’t have the license to drive a bus,” Havu added. “Right. But I’ll take time to get my license and then they will see that I didn’t drink a drop for six month or a year. Isn’t it great?” Janne Ahonen exclaimed. Havu breathed deeply and was looking for arguments. “And tell me something. How will you pay your license?” “A friend will lend me some money,” he answered with a smile. “Oh no. Janne, no way. I will not give you a cent. Please find something else. You must have some diploma or something that you are able to do without starting from the beginning. Think a bit. By the way. I’ve to go. I’ll be late at the police station. See you at 5. Oh and it’ll be great if you can cook something,” Havu said while he was wearing his shoes. “Don’t forget the laundry,” he added before to close the door.

BeitragVerfasst: So 6. Feb 2011, 09:24 
Weltcupsieger

Saturday morning of the following week

When Janne Ahonen woke up at eight he was alone in the flat. He got up and turned on the coffee machine. He saw that there was a note on the table. He took it and read:

Janne,

I’d like that you clean the whole flat (bathroom, kitchen, toilets and windows included). Do the laundry and do some food shopping. I’d like: 1kg of potatoes, 1kg of carrots, 2 onions, 500gr of chicken breast, a bottle of cheap red wine (for cooking), 2 long thin dark purple candles, dark purple napkins (in tissue or paper). Here are 30€. If it’s not enough I will give you the rest when I’m back.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation,
Havu

PS: everything has to be done before 2pm.

“What? Is it a joke?” Janne sat, disappointed. He didn’t understand why his roommate asked so much at once. He turned his head and looked to the flat. He was demoralized. Once more the two boys had been lazy during the whole week. There were the dishes of the last three days in the sink, some dust was on the floor, the windows have probably never been cleaned since Havu moved there, there were clothes a bit everywhere and he didn’t dare to have a look at the bathroom.

After a cup of very dark coffee and a strawberry yoghurt he started to collect all the clothes and started a laundry. Luckily there was a washing machine in the flat. Then he cleaned all the dishes, the oven and the stove. He transformed his bed into sofa and vacuumed. What a hard job! Outside the sun was shining and the temperature was probably over 22 degrees in the flat. He took a glass of water and sat for a short break. It was already eleven o’clock. When the laundry was finished he took the clean clothes out and started a new one. During that time he decided to go to the shop.

But it was Saturday and it was crowed. There were all the workers and also many foreign tourists. What were they doing there by that wonderful weather? After more than half an hour in the middle of the crowed he checked his basket. Only the napkins, the candles and the wine were missing. He found quite easily the napkins in tissue but there was not the right color for the candles. There was light pink or red but not dark purple. What should he do? He decided to go to the cashier. He paid everything and went to Alko, the state shop for alcoholic beverages. It was the first time since more than six months that he entered there. It was weird. But he had no time to remember the past. He took the cheapest bottle he found and left. The shopping bag was quite heavy and he had to walk to the tram stop. He hoped that the plastic bag would not break. But he was lucky.

When he arrived at home it was 12:15. He brought everything to the fridge, emptied the washing machine and started a last one. He wore the yellow gloves, took the product and the brush and cleaned the toilets. He did it carefully because he knew that Havu would check every details and he had no envy to start again. When it was done he cleaned the sauna, the shower, the sink, the mirror and the floor. His back was painful and he decided that it was time for a break. He sat on the sofa and put his feet on the little table. He was so tired. And it was five past two.

Janne Happonen arrived at half past two with a bottle of good wine in the hand. He noticed that the flat smelled good and fresh. “So, how was your day?” he asked. “Horrible. Thanks Havu,” Ahonen answered half sleeping. Havu was smiling. He never expected that his flat mate would do it. He opened the door of the bathroom and saw that everything was clean. The kitchen was almost like new. He was impressed. But just before he congratulated his friend he saw that the windows were still dirty. “And the windows?” “Fuck you. You can clean them yourself. I’m done with the cleaning for today. Can I sleep for an hour in your bed?” Rane requested. “Well… it’s not that I don’t want but I need the flat for the weekend. I’d like that you spend it somewhere else. It’s important for me. Do you understand?” said Havu a bit embarrassed. “What? You asked me to clean everything and now you want me to go away? But I’m not your slave! Why didn’t you talk about it yesterday? Are you afraid to talk to me? And I don’t like notes like that one without previous talking.” Rane got up, opened his bag and put some clothes inside. “I’m so sorry. Here is 50€ for your weekend. Oh please forgive me.” But his flat mate didn’t answer. He took the bank note and put it in his pocket.

Just before to leave, he said: “Have fun with your girlfriend and don’t worry for me. I’ll be fine. I’ll spend your money in a bar. Bye!” And he slammed the door. Havu ran and opened the door. “Please don’t do it! Don’t destroy yourself in a bar because of me. Think of your son. Don’t you remember your promise? Please come back and let’s talk about where you can go. It’s just for this weekend,” Janne Happonen begged. He felt so guilty. But his roommate walked down the stairs very quickly and disappeared in the street.

BeitragVerfasst: So 6. Feb 2011, 16:03 
Weltcupsieger

3. Everything is strange

Janne Ahonen was sad. He didn’t know what to think of his roommate and was a bit lost. He didn’t know what to do and where to go. He exited the tram and walked in the streets with his bag. The other people around looked happy, were very often walking in family or as couple. And it made him even sadder. He decided to take a bus and to go to the cemetery. He bought a white rose and went to the area reserved for the children. There the gravestones were smaller and plenty had drawings and sweet words engraved. A bird was singing at the top of a tree and a squirrel was jumping in the grass. He stopped in front of a stone and looked at it for long minutes without saying a word or moving. He was remembering that horrible night when he let his children alone in his flat to spend the evening with his girlfriend in town. When he was back the building was burning. Mico was safe because he went out with friends but Milo was prisoner of the flat. After more than three years he still felt guilty. He was a bad father and his youngest son had a horrific death. “Hi Milo, it’s Dad,” he finally said.

He put his bag on the ground, sat on it and put down the rose near the stone. “Today Havu kicked me out. It’s just for the weekend but it’s the beginning of problems I think. I did nothing bad, don’t worry. I’m living with him and it looks like if I’m on his way. Now he is dating a girl who I just know her name. Probably their relationship is becoming serious if he already invites her to sleep in the flat. What do you think? Should I leave? The problem is where to go. I’ve no clue. I can maybe ask Matti, Tami or Vellu but I think that it will be the same. They will not say no but after a certain time they’ll ask me to go. At the moment nobody likes your father. Your brother doesn’t care at all and sometimes he is very rude. And your mother… well we are divorced. That word summarizes perfectly the situation. Maybe I should join you. What’s your opinion?” After some long seconds under a hot sun he said: “It’s too hot here. I will drink something in the shadow if you don’t mind. See you next week sweet heart.” He kissed his fingers and touched the grave stone.

He decided to go to the terrace of the nearest café near the sea. It was a calm place and not known of the tourists. Surprisingly there was no free table. When he was close to walk back he recognized the man near the window. “Hi Tami. Nice day, isn’t it? Can I join you?” he asked. “Yes, sure. I thought of spending a quiet moment but I notice that Helsinki is small and there is always someone that you know nearby.” Janne didn’t know how to understand it. But he had the feeling that he was not welcome. Tami was drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. Janne ordered a Cola and lighted a cigarette. “What are you doing with your bag? Are you waiting for the boat to Stockholm?” Tami asked curious. “No, I’ve a free weekend. Havu needs the flat to spend private time with his girlfriend.” “He doesn’t want to have a spectator,” Tami added with a shy smile. Then Janne didn’t know how to continue the conversation. His friend seemed to be close, cold and not very talkative. Or when he talked it was to make fun of him but in a bad way and Janne didn’t like it.

“I’m looking for a cheap hotel without gays. Do you know one?” Janne asked. “No idea. Maybe in Vuosaari. The night will be hot. I heard 17 degrees. You can sleep in a park too.” “In the middle of alcoholics? Are you kidding? I just quitted. Any other brilliant ideas?” Janne asked with a bit of irony in the voice. He hoped that his ex-teammate will invite him for the night. Tami finished his cigarette and crossed his arms.

“Come on. Just one night. I will disappear before eight in the morning,” Janne insisted. There was a huge silence. On the table next to them a bird landed and ate some crumbs. Another arrived and then four others. They were almost fighting. One of them made a shit. “Okay, just one night.” “Thanks,” Janne answered.

BeitragVerfasst: So 6. Feb 2011, 18:58 
Weltcupsieger

Tami was living in a detached house somewhere between Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa. It was a typical wooden house light yellow and white, with two floors and a garden. When he opened the door there was a nice smell of freshly baked bread. The house was dark inside. The furniture was dark brown or black. The curtains were thick and the lights were on. Janne didn’t understand. It was summer and the sun was shining almost all the day and the night. In Havu’s flat he just turned on the light of the bathroom and sometimes in the kitchen in the evening. Like in the mökki of Harri, everything was at its place. At the contrary of Harri, they had a daughter. How old was she already? Ten or less if he remembered well. At that age Mico and Milo were quite messy but he thought that it was normal. There everything looked perfect. Tami invited Janne to sit on the black leather sofa in the living room. The shelf was full of CDs and LPs. Tami chose an album of Alice Cooper because he knew that Janne liked rock. “Be like at home. I come back in a minute,” Tami said before to go to the kitchen and closed the door.

Something was really strange in that house. Janne wasn’t at ease. He got up and looked that the pictures. They looked perfect. All of them were done in a professional photo studio or during events like wedding or birthday parties. Nothing for the normal life or holiday. The music was too loud. He was not in the mood to hear rock at that volume. He turned it a bit down and suddenly heard the voices of Tami and his wife. She didn’t seem to be happy. Probably she didn’t want to have a surprise guest.

When the kitchen door opened he turned up the volume to its original level and looked at the CDs. “You have a huge collection. I’m impressed,” Janne said, trying to hide his stress. “Yes, I’ve about 5000 albums. Is it okay if tonight you sleep on the sofa?” Tami asked. “Yes.” Janne was a bit surprised. Was there no guest room in that house? Finally Piia entered in the living room. She looked very serious with her black hair in a bun, arms crossed and stone face. She wore a black trouser with a grey t-shirt. “Hi,” she just said and Janne said hi back. He was convinced that he was really not welcome. He felt bad because he almost forced Tami to invite him. He hoped that they would not fight because of him. She went back to the kitchen and Tami invited his guest to the terrace.

“Is everything alright?” asked Janne. “Yes, why?” “Well… I’ve the impression that she is…” “Oh no, don’t worry. Everything is fine,” Tami added. They were drinking a glass of Cola in silence. Janne hoped that the night would come quickly and that he could leave that house. He regretted so much. But at the same time he thought that this family was hiding a secret. Maybe would he be able to discover it?

During the dinner the atmosphere was much more relaxed. They were laughing about any kind of subjects. Janne wanted to ask a question but he was not sure if it was the right moment. Probably the couple Kiuru would be cold again. He ignored it and smiled. When Piia was back to the kitchen and refused the help of Janne, he got up and looked again at the pictures. “Do you have more recent pictures of your daughter? She must be around ten now and here she looks like to be six years old,” Janne finally asked. “I know. We have to add some more but we are a bit lazy. We thought about it when we have guests,” Tami laughed. “Can I have a look at your house?” “I prefer not. It’s messy and Piia doesn’t like it.” Janne was even more curious. This house looked like the houses presented in the magazines. Everything was perfect and tidy. How could it be messy? What was wrong? What was the secret of this house? “Where is your daughter?” “In holiday to her grandmother in Joensuu,” Tami answered.

After have smoked the last cigarette of the day on the terrace, Piia invited Janne to sleep in the guest room and apologized for what she said when he came. “Don’t worry. I’m used to sleep on the sofa. Even if I prefer in a bed.” She turned on the light. It was a little room with a bed, a table and a chair, a wardrobe and a little bathroom with shower. She asked if he needed something but he answered negatively. He thanked and said good night. He opened the window which was twenty centimeters wide to have a bit of fresh air during the night. It was not much but he couldn’t open the big window without a special tool. That system was practical in winter when it was cold so that the heat stayed inside. At the same moment he heard a lock sound. He was not sure from where it came from. He went to the door tried to open it. He was almost shocked to notice that he was locked in the room! He was prisoner. It was impossible to escape without breaking the door or the window.

Just before eight o’clock the next morning, the door unlocked and Tami Kiuru opened the door. “Did you sleep well?” he asked with a smile. Janne was sat on the bed, ready to go. “Yes, I did. But why did you lock me in? I’m not a thief.” “I know but Piia preferred. She doesn’t feel at ease when someone that she doesn’t know well is here. Especially because our room is at the second floor,” he explained. “It’s ridiculous. Nobody is doing that to his guest. Now it’s time for me to go,” Janne replied, quite angry and disappointed. “But wait. Have breakfast with us. Please,” Tami begged. But Janne put his bag on his shoulder and left the house.

He was upset and not ready to forgive. But he was also curious. He wanted to know the secret which was hidden in that house. Was it connected to the bruises on Tamis’ body that he saw on the island of Harri? And what about the pictures? Why was everything perfectly tidy? There was no life in that house. It was dead. But what was really dead? Love? Trust? Maybe once he would have the answer. At that moment he just wanted to escape.

BeitragVerfasst: Mo 7. Feb 2011, 18:19 
Weltcupsieger

4. Great jobs

End of September

The leaves of the trees were colorful but many of them were already fallen. In that street in Helsinki there were only detached houses. In the gardens some kids were playing with the leaves, in some others the fathers were collecting these leaves. It was a calm street with very little traffic. There was only a bus driving through every twenty minutes and the cars of the inhabitants. At the number 45 a husband was looking that the food was not burning while his wife was looking after her children. “Kimi! Come back immediately!” the blond mother ordered. She was losing her patience. The little boy was running half naked in the house. He was refusing to wear his trouser. She walked down the stairs and tried to catch her son. She had to be quick because the guests would come very soon. “I know a little boy who will not have candies today,” she said with a sweet voice. The kid was laughing. He was hidden somewhere in the living room. She walked silently behind the sofa. “Ah, you are here!” she caught him but he escaped and ran to the stairs. “Vellu, please help me. Kimi doesn’t want to wear his jeans,” she begged. “It’s okay, Katrina. Let him in underwear. He will feel ashamed when the guests will be there. Can you check if everything is alright in the kitchen?”

Someone rang and she opened the door. “Hello! Welcome to our house!” she greeted with a wide smile. “Hi, this is for you.” Harri Olli gave some flowers and a bottle of wine to Katrina who thanked him. Harri was not alone. He came with his wife Nina. She was a bit taller than him, blond with long straight hair, blue eyes and a rounded face. She was wearing a straight dark olive skirt under the knees and white shirt, a pearl necklace and very classical black three centimeters high heels. She looked close to fifty but it was certainly because of her look.

When they went in, the couple Olli discovered a very charming house with kids’ toys a bit everywhere. “Excuse us for the mess.” “It’s okay, don’t worry,” said Harri. Veli-Matti Lindström exited the kitchen and invited his guests to have a drink on the terrace. It was maybe one of the last weekends where it was possible to be outside. The nights were already colder. “So, tell me Harri. What’s new?” asked Vellu while he opened a bottle of sparkling wine. “Well, not much. The holiday is over since a while and we are working. For the Christmas holiday we will go to South Africa to see the penguins,” he explained. “Oh my kids would love to come with you! Don’t take it seriously,” added Vellu with a smile.

Katrina arrived with Juha in her arms. He was the youngest son of the four boys of the family. “He is so cute,” said Harri with a smile. “Do you want to take him?” “I… I don’t know.” And Katrina gave the baby to the arms of Harri who needed some help to have him in the best possible position. Juha moved a bit. He was realizing that he was not in the arms of his mother. He opened his blue eyes and looked at Harri. “Hi,” said the biologist but the little boy cried. “What should I do?” he asked in a panic. “Don’t worry. He will get used to you,” answered Katrina with a smile. But Harri didn’t know what to do. This little human was moving like a snake and protesting. Maybe he didn’t like his fragrance.

Veli-Matti explained that his company was running quite well. Last week he hired two more cooks and a truck driver. At the moment he had six companies as customers and over 170 meals to prepare daily. “And I have good news. I will probably get a seventh client!” he announced with enthusiasm. He took the bottle and completed the glasses. “Congratulations. I think that we can rise our glass to your success,” Nina said. Everybody took his glass except Harri who didn’t know how to do it with a baby in this arms. “Oh wait. I think that you need some help.” Katrina got up and took Juha in her arms. Harri was admiring how she was able to have a baby on her left arm and a glass of wine in her right hand. They all celebrated the success of Vellu.

For lunch they ate some Carelian stew which was delicious served with mashed potatoes, cranberry jam and salad. Katrina explained that it was a recipe of her mother who was born near Savonlinna. The kids didn’t stay for long. They wanted to play. Katrina forced them to finish their small plates before to leave. “So you are working together?” Katrina asked to the guests. “We are working for the same company but not in the same department. I’m currently working on the cell mutation after have been infected by the AIDS virus. The aim is of course to find a treatment,” Nina explained. “It’s interesting and scary at the same time. I would be really afraid to be contaminated,” Ms Lindström said. “No, I’m not scared. We just have to be concentrated and cautious,” she added. “And you Harri? What are you doing?” asked Veli-Matti. “At the moment I’m working on bacteria which affect the fertility of the penguins. I’m doing my doctorate on this subject. I work here in the laboratory but I hope to join the team in Antarctica. We work with Norwegian, American and Japanese scientists. That’s very interesting,” Harri explained. “Wow! You have really a great job! I hope that you’ll save the penguins,” encouraged Vellu.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 8. Feb 2011, 10:45 
Weltcupsieger

5. A Pet

It was raining that morning of October. The leaves of the trees were all fallen and Nature was waiting for winter. Jussi Hautamäki was feeding the turtles of the pet shop where he was working. “Here is your favorite salad. I choose it just for you my beauty,” he said to Caroline who was eating the delicious green salad. The door opened and a client entered. He closed his umbrella and the rain was slipping along his black rain coat. “Good morning, Sir. Can I help you?” Jussi kindly asked. “Hi, Jussi. Yes, I’d like a pet,” it was Harri who finally decided to come to the shop. In Norway during the meeting he showed some interests for exotic pets but Jussi was not sure about his motivations. Harri was working in a laboratory and Jussi knew that he was probably using animals for testing his products. But there it was different. He wanted a pet.

“Yes, sure. Do you already know which kind of pet you’d like?” the seller asked. “Well, not a spider or something that can afraid people,” Harri said while he was looking through the glass of the vivarium of a scorpion. “The turtles have good reputation. Girls like them. And they are quite easy to care of.” “It’s too common and they need a big cage. I don’t want to sacrifice my living room,” Harri replied while he was looking at an orange snake. “I have the right pet for you.” Jussi opened a window and caught a greenish lizard. “An iguana!” Jussi brought it to his friend and put the animal in his arm. The skin was cold and soft. But the nails were quite sharp. It was looking everywhere. Its eyes were like scanning the environment. “What do you think?” Jussi asked. Harri moved the iguana on his left arm and the animal walked to his shoulder. “It’s so great! I love it! What’s its name?” “It’s Cleo, six months old,” Jussi answered. “How bit will it grow?” “Not too much. Don’t worry,” the seller reassured.

Harri was happy to bring his new pet home. He was smiling again. The previous weeks were difficult. He had to admit that he would never have a child. It was certain and there was nothing he could do against it. He never thought that this announcement would be that difficult to accept. But that was life. Sadly for him. When he arrived at home he installed Cleo in its new home in the living room. The iguana looked shy and was observing the room, moving its eyes in all the direction. He was sure that his wife would appreciate. But the reality was totally different. She was upset and didn’t understand why he bought that pet. It looked ugly and it was quite scary. An iguana was like to have a little dinosaur at home. She wanted him to bring it back to the shop but her husband refused. That pet was his baby and she had to accept it.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 8. Feb 2011, 21:38 
Weltcupsieger

6. A Thief

November 12th

There was no more noise and all the lights were off in the house of Veli-Matti Lindström. The last kid fell asleep just after midnight. The parents were dead tired. Veli-Matti was sleeping deeply while his wife Katrina was unable to sleep. Nevertheless she was tired. During the whole day she took care of her four boys, plus the laundry and the cooking. But something was unusual. There was again some noise coming from down stairs. She looked at her alarm clock. It was twenty past two. She thought that it was a kid in the kitchen who wanted to drink or in the living room to watch some TV. But the noises continued. She decided to have a look.

In the corridor upstairs everything was calm and all the doors were closed. She walked quietly to the stairs in her light pink night dress and suddenly stopped. She saw the shadow of an adult in the living room who had a flash light in the left hand. She was in a panic. Her heart was beating very fast. She wanted to run and to scream but she thought that it was a bad idea. Maybe the person was dangerous. She needed the help of her husband.

“Vellu! Vellu! Wake up! It’s important!” she murmured while she was shaking his shoulder. “Hum… what? Someone is sick?” he answered in a low voice before to yawn. “No, there is a robber in the living room. I’m scared. Please do something,” she begged. “Are you sure?” he asked while he sat in the bed and she described what she saw. “Okay, call the police and don’t move. If the kids wake up they should not go downstairs whatever happen.” “Oh Vellu, I’m so scared. Be careful,” she said, a tear in the eye. Vellu kissed her and walked down stairs.

In the stairs he stopped and listened. There was no noise. Maybe his wife didn’t see well. He went some stairs downer and looked. He tried to control his breathing and to calm down. He was under stress. Suddenly he saw something moving near the guest room. He went quietly to the kitchen and caught a pan that his wife used to make the favorite pancakes of Oliver, theirs oldest son. He breathed deeply and walked to the guest room. He had to react quickly. He didn’t know if the criminal had a gun or any other dangerous object with him. The man in black was looking in a drawer. Vellu hold strongly with both hands the pan and hit the head of the thief as strong as he could. The sound was deep and powerful. The man fell on the floor and didn’t move. Vellu was out of breathing.

“Vellu, Vellu, are you okay?” said Katrina in a panic. She was next to the door of the room, the blond hair messy and the heart beating quickly. Her husband hugged her and kissed her hair. “Everything is fine. He won’t touch you,” he reassured.

Through the window the couple saw the turning blue light. Katrina opened the door before they knocked. “How is the situation?” the tallest policeman asked. “My husband has neutralized the thief,” she explained while they were walking to the room. “Hi Vellu,” said the second policeman. “Hi… oh Havu, it’s you. Thanks for coming,” answered Vellu who was a bit confused.

Janne Happonen kneeled and looked if the thief was alright. He took off his hood and checked his heartbeat. “Vellu, what have you done? Jukka, call the ambulance,” Havu said to his colleague. Veli-Matti was eating the finger nail of his right index. He was in a panic. “I just wanted to protect my family. It’s an accident. Is he… dead?” he asked worried. “No,” Havu answered still checking the man on the floor. Some blood was running out of his ears. That didn’t look good. The guy probably had a concussion. The good news was that he was breathing normally. He was looking in his pockets if he had a wallet. He found a necklace probably stolen, a cigarette, two keys and a coin of two Euros. He took the flash light and looked at his face. Suddenly Havu jumped. “Oh my God,” he said in a low voice. “What?” asked Vellu, worried. “It’s Jussi.” “Oh no, don’t tell me that I killed him.” Vellu sat on the bed and put his head in his hands. “Vellu, it will be okay. He will survive. But tell me. How strong did you hit his head?” Havu asked. Veli-Matti squeezed his lips. “As strong as I could. Oh my God if I knew that it was him.” “You couldn’t know. He has committed a crime and you have protected your family. But you will have to come with us.”

BeitragVerfasst: Mi 9. Feb 2011, 16:50 
Weltcupsieger

At the hospital

“You! I will kill you! What have you done to my brother?” asked Matti Hautamäki who was furious. He was angry to have been woken up in the middle of the night, to hear that his brother was injured and that it was because of Veli-Matti Lindström. He pushed him to the wall and was close to put his fist to his face. Luckily for Vellu, Janne Happonen caught firmly the wrist of Matti. “Calm down Matti,” he said in a very calm voice. “He went to rob my house. I just wanted to protect my family,” Vellu explained also as calmly as possible. But Matti was still furious. His face was reddish, his teeth were tight, he was nervously walking around and wanted to revenge his brother. “Please, sit down,” Janne who was wearing his police uniform exclaimed. “The doctors will give you some news as soon as they have some. No need to be violent,” he added. Matti sat, breathed deeply and looked at his hands.

Some people were walking in the corridor but it was quite silent. The clock on the wall was showing that it was a quarter to five. Matti raised his head and leant it to the wall. He was thinking that he had to be at work at eight. He had a meeting with the boss of his department to talk about the strategy to follow for the next weeks according to the performances of the previous months. Matti knew that his results were not very good. He was working in the dealing room of a bank. It was a stressful job but he liked it.

When the doctor arrived the three men got up and looked to his direction, waiting for the news. “How is he?” asked Matti, worried. “He has a concussion but he will recover. Right now he needs some sleep,” the doctor explained. “Please call me when he wakes up. I need to ask some questions,” Happonen said and the doctor confirmed with a smile. “And call me too when I can visit. He is my brother. I’m the only family member here.”

Vellu went directly to his car and drove back home, feeling bad. He was not a violent man and there he almost killed a man. He knew that his victime would survive but he would never forget that night. Matti lighted a cigarette on the car park and looked at the stars in the sky. “I told him that if he needed some money he just had to ask me,” Matti said to Happonen who was still with him. “Let’s hope that he will learn something from that night,” the policeman commented.

BeitragVerfasst: Mi 9. Feb 2011, 16:51 
Weltcupsieger

7. Horrible day

The meeting was horrible. Matti arrived late and didn’t have time to drink his coffee. He was nervous. His boss looked at him badly. He sat and looked at the PowerPoint presentation. The graph was showing red numbers. The expectations were probably too high while they set them up in a meeting last June. The other members of the dealing room were looking at each other, playing with their pens or didn’t dare to look at the boss. All of them were thinking of the consequences. The boss was angry. His face was red, fat and most of his hair was already gone. He wanted results. He wanted that the clients were happy. He showed it with the fist. But it wasn’t the case at the moment. He changed the slide and everybody looked again at the screen. “I want that! I want success. I want happy clients. So now, be more aggressive on the stock market. I want to have a group of winners not losers! So now focus on the Indian and Middle-East markets. The future is their! Money is their! Not on the US or Chinese markets. So now go back to work! I want results before Christmas!” As soon as he pronounced the last words everybody got up and walked to the door.

“Hautamäki!” he almost screamed. Matti stopped. He swallowed and his heart was beating more quickly. He turned and went to his boss, the head down. “What’s that?” the boss said while he threw a paper on the table with a curve which was declining. “Well… I made a mistake. I thought that…” “Stop thinking! You are too conservative. Be more aggressive! Look at Lehto. He bought 1500 shares of Gasprom in July when the value was very low and now the total value jumped to 350%!” “I will change strategy. You won’t be disappointed,” Matti promised. “It’s in your interest. Go back to work,” the small and fat boss ordered while he adjusted his tie.

Matti was looking at his six screens. He didn’t know why but that morning he had a headache just while he watched all these numbers which were updating every second. The TV was showing the latest news on CNN. The phones were ringing. The clients wanted to buy or sell shares. A young boy brought the newspapers. All his colleagues caught them and opened then to the economic and finance pages. Again, numbers everywhere. He was lost. He was thinking of his brother who was laid in a bed in the hospital. Suddenly he got a phone call on his private mobile. “He is awake. You can come and visit,” a nurse informed. He wanted to go there but he couldn’t. “The shares of BP are going down dramatically!” one of his colleagues screamed. “Are you sure you want to buy 10’000 shares of Nokia?” another asked to his phone. Suddenly his Etrali phone rang. He almost jumped on his chair, wore his headset and answered. It was one of his toughest clients. He was in a panic because he had plenty for BP shares which were losing value very quickly. “What should I do? To sell or to wait that the value rises again?” “Well… BP is a quite secured company and I’m quite sure that the value will go up soon. But in the meantime if…” “What should I do? Fast! I’m losing my money and it’s your fault!” “You should sell. Right know,” Matti advised without being sure. But he had no choice. He had to be quick. “Do you want to sell?” the trader asked. “Yes.” “Everything?” “Yes.” “Do you confirm?” “Yes.” And Matti sold all the shares of his client. “2215 BP shares have been sold at the price of… 1.21$. You got 2680.15$ from this transaction.” “How much did I lose?” Matti swallowed. He knew that his client would not be happy. “More than 10.000$,” he announced. “What? You’re an incompetent! You must be fired! I want to talk to your boss immediately!” the furious client screamed in the phone. Matti felt so bad. He didn’t know what to say. Around him everybody was very active, happy with their deals and him… he was the loser in the middle of winners.

BeitragVerfasst: Mi 9. Feb 2011, 20:16 
Weltcupsieger

After that horrible day at work Matti went to visit his brother. “It’s only now that you are coming. The nurse called you this morning,” complained Jussi. “I was at work to earn my salary honestly. I couldn’t leave. And I had a very bad day. After work I wanted to jump under a train but you don’t care. You just think of yourself,” said Matti exhausted. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know. Is everything okay now?” “Yes… Tell me why you robbed Vellu’s house?” the younger brother asked. “I thought it was easy. I just needed some cash,” he explained. “Why didn’t you ask me? You know that I always give you some cash. And why do you need cash?” “It’s complicated and you won’t understand. The good news is that I won’t go to prison. Great, isn’t it?” Jussi said with a smile. “Fantastic… How is it possible?” “Because I made a deal with Vellu. I won’t complain to what he did to me and he won’t accuse me for the robbery. And I gave everything back. For us, nothing happened,” Jussi explained. “You will never change. When will you be honest?” “Matti, I need that you go to my flat to feed my pets.” “No way! I don’t want to go there and you know it. What happened if one of them escape or bite me?” Jussi laughed. He knew that his brother was afraid of his pets. But they were kind. “Here is the key. The food is in the fridge. Before to leave, opened the drawer of my night desk. There is something for you.” Matti took the key but had no envy to go to his flat. He was already thrilling. “Kiss them for me.” “No way,” Matti concluded while he closed the door.

Matti had a phobia and his brother knew it. He was always laughing when Matti came to visit. He was never quiet on the sofa. At the third floor he took the key from his pocket and breathed deeply before to open it. His heart was beating quicker. “Be courageous,” he said to himself. He opened the door and saw the most horrible flat ever. He went in and closed the door before a pet escape. There was dust everywhere, empty bottles on the sofa and on the floor, dirty clothes a bit everywhere, some flies, some strange shits on the floor, a horrible smell and the worst of all: cobweb everywhere. Where were the pets? He walked quietly through the living room. He looked under the sofa and jumped back immediately. The snake was there looking at him with his tongue out. “Jussi, I hate you.” He went to the kitchen and opened the fridge which smelled very bad. In a box of plastic there were worms which were alive. At least half of them. He took it with a tissue. It was so disgusting. The view of these worms in their box and the horrible smell of the fridge was a nightmare. He felt sick. Before to exit the kitchen he checked that the other pet was not over his head. He opened the plastic box and poured the content to the dirty bowl which was on the floor of the living room. The worms were moving in the bowl. They tried to escape. “It’s so disgusting.”

Matti checked everywhere that the other pet will not jump on him. He pushed the door of the bedroom with his foot. There was a huge web. “Oh my God. No, please. This is a nightmare,” he complained. The bed was of course not done. Everything looked dirty and it looked more like the bedroom of Tanja than the bedroom of his brother. “Tanja… where are you?” he murmured. He was so scared. He touched the handle of the drawer of the night desk which was not totally closed. He opened it half way and suddenly Tanja jumped on his hand. He screamed and shook his hand. He was out of breathing. Where was she now? He was turning on himself and imagining the tarantula in his hair, under his shirt or climbing this jean. Suddenly he saw the spider running on the floor and going to the living room. He calm down and opened fully the drawer. Under the mess he found a little box. He took it and opened. Inside there was a little white bag. He smiled and put the gift in this pocket. He closed the drawer and left the room. He checked that no pet was following him and that he had no passenger on him. When he was sure he exited this horrible flat.

BeitragVerfasst: Do 10. Feb 2011, 15:55 
Weltcupsieger

8. A dream comes true

The first results of the researches of Harri Olli were excellent. So good that his supervisor had great news for him. “Dr Olli, you really impressed me and the members of the commission. Your work is from high quality it is why we decided that you can join the team in Antarctica for six months!” the professor announced with a happy voice. Harri was almost mute. He couldn’t realize that his dream was coming true. His work was appreciated and he would study the penguins in their natural environment. “Thank you,” he simply replied. He was unable to show how happy he was.

He didn’t call anyone to tell the great news. He drove home, singing in his car. At home he prepared the dinner and set the table. He lighted some candles and turned on the music. He chose some classical music. Spring from the four seasons of Vivaldi. When he heard the car of his wife he went outside.

“Why are you smiling?” she asked. It was pretty rare that he smiled that much. Usually it meant that he wanted to obtain something. “Close your eyes and trust me,” he said with a low voice. She did it and he took her hands. He drove her through the main lobby to the dining room. He helped her to sit. “Keep your eyes closed. I’m coming,” he said while he jumped in the kitchen. He prepared two plates and came back. He kissed her lips softly. “You can open your eyes,” he said. “Oh my God, Harri!” she exclaimed when she discovered the beautiful table he set with candles, flowers and the dishes they used when they had guests or for important events. He cooked pasta all’arabbiata and served it with a good red wine. “Why are you doing that? I’m surprised,” she said curious. “Well, I’ve great news to tell you,” he said while he sat in front of her. “I will go to Antarctica!” She congratulated her husband but she was also a bit sad. She knew that he would be away for a long time. But she tried to hide her sadness. She couldn’t destroy his happiness. “I’m so happy for you,” she said with a smile. “When are you leaving?” “In February,” he answered. It meant that they would at least spend Christmas together and go to holiday in South Africa together like it was planned. “I will miss you.” “Me too. But don’t worry. We can call each other every day and we can use the video conference.”

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 27 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde